DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Are there enough computer repair companies locally

Posted by Adso - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by happytobehere-228975 - 6 years ago

If you have a good enough idea, great business skills, fantastic marketing skills and enough money behind you to set up properly until your business pays it way, then you can succeed. Its not that difficult in France, just expensive if you employ others.. But there are ways around that by having 'freelancers' you just need to set it up properly... Ive done this and its totally doable and less stress than my business in the UK. If you are not bilingual, buy that service in, there are plenty of admin assistants that will work on an hourly basis.Surround yourself with positive over achievers, youll be fine. And good luck.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ouch that hurt !-230853 - 6 years ago

sorry, we employ 30 people, & a rough estimate is 50% as a patron, after ALL the various charges & taxes.

Sorry no image available
Posted by 52xmax - 6 years ago

Adso, I'd love a remote help service if it existed here, but not a 'remote remote' service where if the first fix doesn't work, I need to travel Nice to the UK to see you. Local remote could work, I think, but I repeat, I'm no expert, just a possible customer. Knowing you can actually see someone if you need, that counts.
Ouch that hurt isn't quite correct about 'half your income disappears' .... of course there are property taxes, income taxes and social charges, and they add up, but if you understand what to do, it's not as bad as people can tell you. Although it may be true for some people, if you just declare the gross numbers without knowing what to deduct, I guess you can pay a lot, but you do not always have to. Certainly, I was in Lapeyre, Castorama and Leroy merlin today and the tills were working well, if all was that bad, then it didn't seem that way today. Nor the day before actually. Reading their inputs, I wonder when greenleaf and ouch are planning to relocate ? or is it not so bad after all ...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Adso - 6 years ago

52xmax, What you are describing is now do-able over the internet. In fact I could help you with a fiddling little issue now from england. All you would need to do is call me and I give you a six digit code which you enter into a field on my website. I would then install an icon on your desktop which you double click whenever you want some help. I can then remotely access your computer to fix your issue, but can never do so without your permission.

The overall gist of what people seem to be saying is that you have massive taxes in France which pay for what used to be, but are no longer guaranteed to be, good public services and these massive taxes hurt. With Greece undergoing elections very soon, the Euro could face the danger of collapse again this summer just like it did last summer. Who knows what the future holds anywhere. The US has 15 trillion in government debt and Florida took a major hit because a big part of its gdp is based on the construction and sale of property. The UK is in double dip recession and I am not the only one in my industry who is suffering over here at the moment as a result. I was speaking to a colleague in Cheshire today who is only keeping afloat through sale of parts on ebay. He hasn't had a good month for repairs since last November. I'm afraid it is all rather depressing at the moment.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ouch that hurt !-230853 - 6 years ago

Yes, but you will effectively see half your income disappear, what ever "caisse" or tax, be it personal, home, or business tax.In return there is a good health service, (going down hill) middling schooling, (seriously going down hill) Big unemployment....(increasing fast, particularly in the young starter jobs), the pensions (catastrophe) all being equal it is probably the same in the UK, but the beaurocarcy is mind blowing, even if you understand the language !the up side clearly as you say, sun, food, wine, the sea etc.

Sorry no image available
Posted by 52xmax - 6 years ago

too many depressing inputs here ! It's simple, if you are good at both what you do and at marketing yourself to get started, and at keeping up with your accounts, paperwork, admin, etc, and assuming your pricing is correct, then you can make it work. However, Bill Gates rich you will not become !! But I don't think you can get that rich repairing computers in the Uk or in Florida either .... personally, my biggest problems with pc's have been the silly things that are too simple for a professional to come here to look at but it's not so easy to take your pc to them for a few minutes fix. Only my 1 cts worth.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Goupil-198464 - 6 years ago

I am not sure half your earnings go to the state. A lot of your earnings go to what is called "contributions sociales" which is unemployment, health care, retirement. It is a fallacy of the free marketeer to believe that the big corrupt state gobble your hard earned money for no returns.

In fact France public service pride itself to be more efficient that private enterprise. Right or wrong?

Sorry no image available
Posted by GreenLeaf-314739 - 6 years ago

And you think the Euro (€) will do better?

Or the political climate here is better, 18% of the Nation voted for Le Pen (equivalent BNP) with 25% of the population here in the Var and 06.

Youth (under 25) un-employment is at it highest level since 1997 with expectations to rise more.

Also remember, 1/2 your earnings go direct to the state, even if you do not earn anything that month or take a vacation. I suggest asking an accountant familiar with both systems. You might be better off leaving the UK Business and opening a satellite office here.

What till you see what the printers charge here. Much cheaper in Italy.

Good Luck on whatever you do...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Adso - 6 years ago

If the area runs by word of mouth I could do well because I am very good at what I do, I make sure the customer is happy before producing an invoice and I get plenty of word of mouth recommendations without requesting them. I started this business because I got laid off at the end of the dot com boom, I was unemployed for a year and I could see I was too old to get another contract (that's ageism in the UK). I have built up this business with no startup or marketing budget from nothing to 400 customers in 5 years (200 new customers in the last 12 months) in a town with a 30K population. My customers call me repeatedly which is the ultimate proof that they like what I do. My first marketing effort was with homemade leaflets that I took door to door. They worked. Would they work in France?

Am I a dreamer? In other words do I make rash decisions based on a dream and just assume everything will work out fine? Ha ha. Bit too experienced to have that attitude! This thread I have started is a cost free preliminery bit of research. I intend to do a great deal of research. Are there ex-pat face-to-face networking groups in the area that I could contact?

I am looking at the area because it seems to have potential: 5 million people between Marseilles and Menton, a large number of whom are very well off, with maybe 200,000 English speakers in Var and Alpes-Maritimes, most of whom again will be very well off. So that seems like a good business reason to at least have a look down there. For both business and personal reasons I am concerned about the future in the UK, not just for me but for my kids. We are now in a double dip recession and my average invoice is for a smaller amount than it was just two years ago. This is a little alarming. Youth unemployment is high, which again is concerning. I think that seeing the grass maybe being greener elsewhere is a legitimate point of view on this occasion!

Personal reasons I don't need to go into. They would probably be similar to everyone who is reading this: climate, scenery, food, wine, culture, historical interest, Francophilia, lifestyle. Pretty much all of these would be better than Florida except maybe climate.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Acme Decorating - 6 years ago

It depends on if you're any good, not on what's already here! Good at computer repairs, but more importantly, good at marketing.

It's a tough place to work in, too many dreamers make consumers cynical, and the place runs on word-of-mouth. If you can get started, you're in, if you can't, try Florida.

Louisa