DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

As the Var burns!

Posted by stgeorge-182529 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 11 to 17)

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 15 years ago

Fires started by would be property developers in the 70's and 80's was apparently a common practice but after the devastation caused in the last few days any future applications for planning permission in so called  'Greenbelt' areas  are likely to be treated with the utmost suspicion by the authorities concerned , as criminal investigations will now take place.( Molotov Cocktails !! ) However , the majority of the forest and pinede that has burnt has been on land which is not only unconstructable but inaccessible as well causing a major ecological disaster to the extent that localised weather patterns are likely to be affected until the forest grows again !

It is interesting to note that the majority of villas and houses who had cleared their surrounding land of brush and scrub as required by local council rulings because of the fire hazard , have escaped having their properties destroyed ( this has applied to some campsites as well !! )

It is

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by Canteloupe - 15 years ago

Last night's fire is believed to have been started intentionally, by molotov cocktails, in 30 differents spots.

Pure malice by bored teenagers? No. I'm told that these fires are started by people linked to property developers. Green belt, non-constructible land, becomes viable for development if it has been devastated.

Anyone else heard this?

Canteloupe

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

Soemone will correct me if I'm wrong,  but I believe the Pompiers are volunteers,  which makes their bravery all the more commendable.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Aroncb - 15 years ago

This area burned long before us homo sapiens ever set foot here - and it will when we're gone. 

Just fortunate to have those pompiers about, not on strike (if they are allowed) and relatively efficient.  Other wise casualties could have been much higher.   I hope they get good over time and state pensions :-)  It was damn scary seeing how quickly it went across the skyline... 

I must congratulate Stgeorge on using the most commas  in one sentence that I have ever seen.  11 impressive. :-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by thegrays-189136 - 15 years ago

In these times, I certainly take my hat off to the fire-fighting crew!! The pilots of the Canadairs are either very brave, or very mad...

One "mildly funny" incident:

On returning home last night I spotted someone had a bonfire going in their garden (which has been illegal for some weeks already!!). Before I could stop by his place and politely ask him to put it out, there were the two yellow Pompier choppers overhead, sirens going etc. Unfortunately, they didn't drop the water (bomb) on him - much to the dissapointment of me and my kids.. I think he got the message though ;-)

Two things come from this - quick responses from the fire-fighters and it shows that there are still complete idiots amongst us.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 15 years ago
Sorry no image available
Posted by Runaway-182887 - 15 years ago

I watched one of those fires last week, scared the hell out of me, and with my little friend 'fire chasing' to get some photo's (now on the Webshots site) it got a bit too close for comfort.  We weren't totally irresponsible (before anyone starts!) and were never that close but it made me realise just how fragile nature is and how careful we should be in drought conditions.

The Var has to be one of the most beautiful places on earth (IMHO) and I hope and pray that the situation doesn't get any worse.  Having said that, the area will recover, Mother Nature is a very talented lady.

xx