DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Assault on an American in Nice

Posted by Terry-182770 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

My son, age 23, was assaulted last night in Place Massena at approximately 11:30pm whilst walking through the park alone by a group of 6 or more young adult males.  He was kicked in the back while just walking along and then sucker punched in the face by one of the cowards.  Tomorrow we will be reporting this to the American Embassy and the police.  I will also advise the local newspapers serving this region and the newspapers in the U.S. if no action is taken. 

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by nina-II - 14 years ago

Lana,

your message express perfectly what was my first impression at reading Terry's posting; although I do sympathise with his plight and his son's trauma, I found something in the tittle very amiss...I am so glad this remark comes from an american person...from the tone of the discussion, I would have been quite afraid to venture saying so myself

Sorry no image available
Posted by Alison665 - 14 years ago

Lana,

It seems as though you fall into the category of Americans whom I adore - able to recognize what is wrong with American society without being offended at the suggestion that Americans might be as imperfect as the rest of us! (And again, I have many american friends who I love!)

Basically: I totally concur with everything you said.

Only in America would they cease to call fries 'french fries' because the French didn't blindly support 'the greatest nation in the world'.

Thank you so much for your sharing your view point - you sound like one cool chick - perhaps one day our paths shall cross on the CdA.

Best wishes to you.

Alison

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

Allison,

I find myself agreeing with you once again, and I am American by nationality. The topic title "Assault on an American in Nice" says a lot. If I were the original poster, it would never have occurred to me to choose such a title. I would have said, "Attack on Place Massena" or "My Son Attacked in Nice" or something of that nature. For me the chosen title infers that the attack was provoked by the nationality of the victim, whereas I have strong doubts about that being the case. The title brings visions of 9-11, Osama Bin Laden and the invasion of Iraq and places them as the motivation behind the attack of a group of young thugs.

Unfortunately, many Americans have developed a victim mentality (hence all the lawsuits of recent decades) and are super sensitive to anything they perceive as criticism. It still galls me that Americans are insulted (and vindictive) because France refused to support their policy on Iraq. I constantly have friends in the US asking me if there is much anti-American sentiment here and I can only asnwer truthfully that I haven't experienced any. Unfortunately, the reverse is not true.

I always hestitate to get involved in such a discussion, knowing full well the amount of vitriol it is capable of generating. Sorry that you happened to catch so much of it. In the present climate in the US, I've found that it pays to keep one's mouth shut, unless one is speaking to close and trusted friends--hardly what the Founding Fathers had envisioned!

Lana

Sorry no image available

Sophie:

Why should I sound cheery and sweet? Is that a requirement here on AngloInfo?  I am not bitter - I might have been irritated, but certainly not bitter - that's not me at all.  And why would I have been bitter about the fact that the attack might have taken place because the boy was American?  That makes absolutely no sense at all.  I think I stated my position quite clearly, but I will again so that you might understand.  What I was irritated with was the suggestion (or rather, my intepretation of the post) that because it happened to an American, it somehow warranted more attention (and more of a response) than if it had happened to another nationality.  Historically and currently (and I'm sorry if you are American and this offends you) Americans do have a habit of patriotic self-importance, as though these crimes are not shocking until they happen to one of them.  Then they are outraged as to why this kind of thing happened, when the reality is that this kind of thing happens all the time.  

This does not make me angry, bitter, upset or any of the other adjectives that you have hurled, it just made me want to express my opinion on the subject.

I  hope this clarifies.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sophie2197 - 14 years ago

Allison:

I am sorry about misunderstanding your position.  But do realize  that the tones I used in my initial response to you were the same as yours. Your initial post did not sound cheery and sweet and did sound as though you were bitter about the fact that the attack might have been because he was american.  I was not trying to be nasty and i am sorry for coming off that way.  I was just trying to understand why you were getting worked up over the fact that it might or might not have been an attack based on nationality.  In the end, it doesn't really matter why he was attacked.  What matters is that violence and crime are prominent on the CDA and we need to be aware. 

Sorry no image available

Lana,

Thank you so much for coming to my defense.

All the best,

Alison

Sorry no image available

Sophie:

You have made many assumptions here.  I said I lived in the States for a total of 15 years - I was only married for five years.  Are you American?  Have I hit a raw nerve that has made you respond in such a nasty, vindictive manner  Where did you get that I am jealous of and dislike American culture??  I spent part of my childhood there and as I said in a previous post, some of my best friends are American.  I don't see why you have to turn this into a personal attack?  Terry was not offended by my position, so why are you?   How exactly did I come off as being Jealous?  Where did I express my dislike of American culture?  I'd like to throw out a few names that describe the tone of your post, but that would be nasty - like your post was.

Peace & Love to all. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Vics - 14 years ago

It does sound grim and the reality is that despite Nice being one of the most popular tourist areas in the world, it is like any big city, and that means you must exercise caution when you go out. The same rules apply here as they do at home, how many of you would stroll casually through the centre of Birmingham or Manchester carrying cameras, wallets full of credit cards etc? Very few of us I suspect. I have lived in Nice for 4 years and have been the victim of various crimes, muggging, credit card theft, burglary etc. I have also seen more crime here than when I lived in one of the most dubious areas of a large city in England. The only answer is to be careful, don't walk around on your own at night, carry some sort of alarm or even a small can of CS gas which is legal and available to purchase in most security shops, and try as much as possible to leave big bags/wallets etc at home/the hotel. As for unprovoked attacks, as TallBen said the best thing to do is run away as fast as you can towards a pub, bar or restaurant. Unfortunately as I learnt to my cost, you cannnot rely on passers by helping you out, so heading towards a business is by far your best bet. Reporting all incidents to the police is also imperative as eventually they will be forced to do something thanks to the sheer number of attacks.Stay safe and enjoy your time here, this is a fantastic place to live and as long as you're careful, it is possible to have a great time.Vics x

Sorry no image available
Posted by lynnettejane - 14 years ago

hello all, it all sounds pretty grim, makes you wonder if it was such a good idea to buy a place any where in the vicinity of Nice. So, how do we avoid dangerous situations then, lock ourselves up somewhere? I was puzzled by one remark, way back at the beginning of this debate, I think it was from St George who seemed to think that a poor tourist season was somehow influencial in all this, Why? Not so many around to beat up as usual, not so many aound to cheat and rip off? All very sad, but truth to say, no city is safe (perhaps Singapore), the best way to travel through Nice I reckon is by taxi, even if you might be taken for a ride in more ways than one, at least it's done without violence to the person, only to the wallet. There does seem to exist on the CDA a general rip off mentality, and I guess disaffected youth will always target the unwary, so I hope the young man in question is OK now, but to hope that it won't happen again I guess is naive, regards Lynnette

Sorry no image available
Posted by Si-180835 - 14 years ago

Whilst in Cannes on Wednesday evening some trouble errupted outside a well known nightspot between quite a large number of people. If you were in the area, then you were 'involved' like it or not. After a lot of indescriminate blows were exchanged, a group of about 6-10 youths ran away. 5 minutes later they returned and showered the group still outside the entrance of the venue (about 30 people at a guess) with bottles, glasses and whatever else they had collected in their absence. Unfortunately, quite a few were on target.

In Mouans Sartoux about 2 weeks ago, a woman crossing at the traffic lights in front of my car was punched and kicked to the ground by a man who ran up to her from behind. This was at 4pm in the afternoon !!

This is an increasing problem in society in general, not Nice, not France, not anti-(Insert your own choice here).

Whilst the law makers and enforcers MUST do something about this, give yourself a chance too. Be aware, avoid the places and situations that would you put you in danger and don't walk around with the 'it always happens to someone else' attitude that some many people tend to do.