DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Assedic

Posted by Sue-188228 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sue-188228 - 14 years ago

Thankyou to both Melody and Steve for taking the time to advise.  As with most problems of this nature in France there probably isn't  a definitive answer - hey that's why we live here isn't it?!!!  The freedom to make it up as we go along.

Sorry no image available
Posted by melody-189421 - 14 years ago

The same thing is in place in the UK but you would need to arrange it beforehand, which your friend wisely did and I didnt... The assedic did ask me for a letter from my ex-boss saying that I had left to follow my partner to France, which I produced, but nothing seems to have come of that...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Steve R-187639 - 14 years ago

A French friend of mine had to leave her job in Monaco and follow her boyfriend and his job to Italy. She talked to the ASSEDIC beforehand and was entitled to three months' benefit as she was 'forced' (by personal circumstances) to leave her job.

Would the same not apply to your friend?

Might be worth talking to the DSS in the UK to see if a similar programme is in place.

Sorry no image available
Posted by melody-189421 - 14 years ago

Dear SueI am in a very similar situation, I have a French passport but have worked in the UK all my life. I moved to France in July and registered with the Assedic, and they told me exactly the same thing, that I needed to work even if it was just for a day, to be able to qualify for unemployment benefit. I have just completed a CDD so I will be putting their promise to the test soon!Your friend might qualify for an "allocation d'insertion" which the Assedic also provide for ex-patriots returning to France, but it depends on her husbands earnings... She could also try for the R.M.I. but again it depends on the household income...If I can be of any help do let me know!