DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

banks and transfer charges

Posted by munchkin-191066 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Does anyone know of a bank which doesn't charge to receive money from bank transfers coming from the UK? Every time I transfer from UK I get hit there for a transfer fee and then at this end by the receiving bank. Any way of getting around it?

Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

Switzerland is not in the EU. The UK is outside the Euro zone but inside the EU. For transfers from outside the EU the banks can charge pretty much what they like, whether the cash comes in the form of Euros or not.**************
Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

I was rather surprised a couple of weeks ago to be charged 10 Euros on an inbound Euro transfer (from Switzerland).  The money was sent from there as Euros.

Is this correct? I couldn't be bothered to take it up with the bank but does anyone know?

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

Convert the money into Euros in the UKTransfer the Euros only using the IBAN and BIC associated with your French account

You will get a small charge from the French bank but only (by EU law) the same as for a virement between French bank accounts.

If, however, you get any numbers wrong or even provide additional, unnecessary information (such as the account number as used in France), the bank is within its rights to stiff you for a "management charge" for sorting things out.

Mike