DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Be warned it even happens in Le Rouret!

Posted by Rouretan - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rouretan - 14 years ago

What angers me is that the police could do a lot more about these little thugs, but choose to turn the eye to avoid confrontation.

The police know where these louts hang out, the supermarkets and crossroads where they loiter, looking for their next lady driver on her own, but I don't think that I have ever seen a scooter stopped to have it's papers or "silencer" checked.

I note also that the police don't (bother) to use their power (the technology IS in place) to localise stolen portable telephones.

If the police were efficient and quick, they could capture and make examples of at least a few of these thugs that spoil the lives of so many.

Hélas, the only time I see a gendarme in "action" he is sitting behind a speed camara on a safe straight road, or behind a bush on a roundabout.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

quote:........they receive a brusque awakening once they are identified:  Typically the police raid the houses/apartments of the suspects at 5:30am and shoot the door off at the hinges. Then they are very roughly handcuffed and dragged down to the local police establishment where they are dealt with.

Whilst I, and no doubt many others,  would like to believe that this is true,  I have my doubts about this report.

Perhaps the clue is 'once they are identified' ........ they never are.  How can they be identified when their poxy little noise machines don't even have registration plates?

Sorry no image available
Posted by JPS55-185758 - 14 years ago

I Have been attacked three times now, I have an Italian reg car and as a woman alone am obviously an easy target. Luckily I had heard stories and keep the car doors locked but at traffic lights on the Nice La Trinite exit I, or rather my car, has been subject to a vicious kicking once it is realised the doors are locked.I must admit that I have not shopped in Nice alone since the last incident; I normally would shop once or twice a month. I thought myself to be quite a brave person and when I realised what had happened the first time, I thought I would be ready for them the second time; instead I was a nervous wreck and even worse the third and last time so sorry Nice but you have lost my business and many, many people like me because the police just do not do enough.Jane AllavenaJPS55

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rosbif-185958 - 14 years ago

I happened to see a reportage on F2 or 3 a while ago now, about a special elite team of police in Nice that were tackling this exact problem.  From what I saw on the report, they receive a brusque awakening once they are identified:  Typically the police raid the houses/apartments of the suspects at 5:30am and shoot the door off at the hinges. Then they are very roughly handcuffed and dragged down to the local police establishment where they are dealt with.

Also a technique to watch out for is the family of people in 76 plated car with the bonnet up, saying they've broken down.  Usually they stop people to ask for money... but I have heard that this often degrades into violence also.

Unfortunately, the targets do appear to be tourists or elderly people that "appear" to have money. 

:(

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

The main problem with these vermin on wheels is that the machines don't even have registration numbers, so there is no accountability on the part of the riders.  It also makes them untraceable if they are stolen which means that there is no record of the thief having purchased it in the first place,  so even less accountability. It is high time that the authorities clamped down on this type of abuse which is almost anarchistic - I know of few other countries, particularly those supposedly in the civilised world,  where a motor vehicle which is capable of doing almost 100 kph and killing not only its rider but others too,  is allowed to be ridden without a licence and without registration plates.   Even when these awful little machines are not being used in the commission of crimes,  they are often ridden at high speed in pedestrian areas, endangering and frightening people, making an infernal racket, and generally adding to the prevalent pollution which detracts from the quality of life here.  Kids use them at night and screech home doing wheelies in the small hours of the morning, waking up neighbourhoods. I won't go on .... I think you all get the message.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MSM2000UK-181816 - 14 years ago

The same kind of thing almost happened to my grandparents while in St Paul de Vence at a restaurant up there.

They were waiting outside the restaurant for their chauffeur to come along in the car and as they got into it, two people on scooters came alongside their doors and blocked them from closing them. Thankfully the chauffeur was able to throw one of them off the scooter and eventually have him arrested and charged however thats not the point. It shocked them and they now dont go out at night without their chauffeur, and a bodyguard.

This is a frequenting problem and one that the police seem to be powerless to prevent. It seems their only advice, is be careful and be alert...something it is hard to do when you are old and frail like my grandparents. It was for this reason that they employed 'extra' security.

The police said the scootermen target elderly people dressed nicely, tourists in 76 plated cars, and people with unfamiliar number plates to the area...for example a Monagasque car in St Paul de Vence.

Max