DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Best Olive Oil

Posted by Trudie-183812 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 14 years ago

Actually Victoria has it spot on! The best oil is the one that you like the most! Tasting various oils is the best route to take because all olive oil is good oil (clearly avoiding the mass market).

In Nice you could go to Olivera in the old town just across the road from the Gare Routier where you can taste a lot of oils before buying.

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by VictoriaB-187745 - 14 years ago

Although rather on the expensive side, the Olivier and Co shops are always rather interesting to go and have a sniff around in...you can sample all the olive oils before buying one. I am always amazed at the different flavors olive oil can have depending on the region...

VictoriaB

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

the ovenheater is perfectly correct - the best olive oil in the world, universe and galaxy is from Tuscany.

Within Tuscany, the edge goes to oil from Lucca.  As long as the Italians and germans aren't on holidays, it is worth a drive to Lucca and a little tour of the village and the oil shops/mills.

Once, when I was desperate on a Sunday, I drove to Lucca and bought 4 little 37.5 cl bottles at a restaurant at 9pm at night then drove back to the CdA to continue my recipe.

see here for some clues

Sorry no image available
Posted by Alanea-182633 - 14 years ago

Without a doubt the best oil if from Baux...mill of Jean-Maire Cornille.  It is both delicate with a wonderful lingering flavour.

Alanea

Sorry no image available
Posted by chauffour-187842 - 14 years ago

i'm afraid the best olive oil is italian....

if you like it quite light, buy the ligurian one, the best for me is from tuscany, the strongest, very dark gree is from south of italy....

ciao

massimo www.chauffour.com

(yes i live in france, but use italian oil!!!)

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 14 years ago

Calletier based AOC Olive De Nice would be the best there is. Of course I'm biased as I have 400 trees, but as I can't sell you any you can take my word for it, it really really IS good. A guy called Nadim has a great shop in old Nice just across from the Gare Routier who has the best collection of oils I've come across.

Regards,

Mike