DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Best telecom for mobile prepaid cards?

Posted by belamica-188434 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by belamica-188434 - 14 years ago

Thank you all very much for your info. 

I just switched to Orange Pro last month, was appalled at the charges of over E 45 for 7 mins. of use!! That's why I was thinking of a prepaid card. I never get over 1 hr use, need roaming (for trips out of country) but that's about it and feel Orange Pro is overkill.  Do you have any good suggestions? I dread the thought of having to try to explain my dilemma to Orange cust. svc. who are totally hopeless. 

Recently trying to get ADSL installed here was more than frustrating (it's NOT compatible with Numeris but only the technicians seem to know that), what with at least 5 calls/visits to arrange, 3 appts. for installation, 3 technicians.  We're finally up and running, but what a hassle...  Trying to keep my sense of humour - and patience, but if I can avoid dealing with the telecoms I'm happier.    

belamica

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

jmroberts: there's a big difference between prepaid cards and contracts such as you have.

In general, the French operators don't offer the same kind of value deals on prepayment as found in many other countries, largely beacuse the margins just aren't there for them (not least because of the statutory requirements they have to fulfill, which raise their costs relative to those of operatprs in other markets). Contracts, relatively speaking, represent pretty good value; the prepayment option - whoever your supplier - does not.

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by jmroberts-180597 - 14 years ago

Actually <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Orange isn't that bad. I have 2 hours a month phone time on a Pro contract for something like 34 € a month. I mostly receive calls so that's fine. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

My remaining minutes transfer over to the next month. (E.g. Jan's remaining minutes transfer to Feb, but if the minutes aren't used in Feb then I lose the transferred minutes and minutes left over from Feb and then start anew in March).

I have roaming included and caller ID. As scottydog said you normally have to pay extra for everything here anyway so to have the above basic service + caller ID (which should be part of the basic service) and roaming is quite good.

Roaming will be expensive with everyone though... comms between foreign telcos are never going to be cheap.

As far as customer service goes there is no good customer service here. Try not to even use it. It's best to post your queries here or ask a friend.

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

Compare for yourself: http://www.francemobiles.com/carteprepe.shtml

I use Bouygues because the "recharge large" is valid for 6 months. I don't use the mobile very much either, so I want to sure that the card doesn't expire before I've used up all my pre-paid calls.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by scottydogWB-188647 - 14 years ago

SFR are about the best but they arent all that the french like to charge you for everything e.g caller id and you have to pay bout 10euro's to get roming and then you will still be charged if someone calls you!

hope this helps

scott

dawg x