Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Bike accident 26-03-04.

Posted by chelstone - Created: 16 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

1 reply

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 16 years ago

On the basis of what you say (the driver admitting to running an orange light) incurring corporal damage, then the police are duty bound to pursue charges.  This does not mean that they WILL, but that they SHOULD and the final decision will be based upon feasibility - facts, statements, witnesses etc.

You have a right to know whether the police have submitted the driver for prosecution or not.  Just ask them.

The loss of your Vespa is entirely a matter for your insurance company - just ask them how they are dealing with the matter.

The other losses/inconveniences you have suffered are not normally covered by motor insurance but you CAN get reimbursed for documented loss or for general purpose loss/indignity (called "dommages et interêts").  In order to do this, you need to press a court case - or, depending what the police tell you about their own case, you could attach yourself as "partie civile" to the police case.  You'll probably need a lawyer to do this - BUT you just may be covered for legal costs under your motorbike insurance.  Check with the company and if you have legal cost coverage then go for the max!  As them to pursue for ensuing personal damages and if they are reluctant, ask them how much they will cover for legal fees for you to pursue this as "partie civile". 

Bonne Récuperation!