DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Black centipedes - how to get rid of them!!??

Posted by Matilda-184496 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jsencier - 14 years ago

PROMISE I WONT GAS THE ENTIRE INSECT POPULATION, JUST THE ONES WITHIN SMALL RADIUS OF THE HOUSE AND POOL.

jacqueline

Sorry no image available
Posted by Aroncb - 14 years ago

Well I hope any solution you get doesn`t involve gassing/poisoning the entire local insect population.  Which the small birds rely on -  and which are in heavy decline by the way. 

Do you like songbirds for dawn chorus?  If so you like insects too. 

I guess living in the country side / open air you are going to get a few wild animals and insects running around.  You may as well live in a town if you don`t like them.    Live and let live. 

It`s us living in their enviroment not other way round as I see it.  (even if you have the title deeds in your name :-)  )

Don`t take this as a flame. My point is I just hope you find a "friendly" solution :-)  Eg Give them all little water wings :-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MSM2000UK-181816 - 14 years ago

Hiya,

Glad to help although i have a slight feeling that the whole point of the website is helping others hence no need for any thanks.

You may live in a dense forest, however that doesnt mean you have to have black insects in your swimming pool and i have been to hotels which have a lot of plants and trees around hence creating the atmosphere of a forest, mainly for privacy. Im sure there is a simple solution to get rid of them.

Regards

Max

Sorry no image available

Hi Max

Why didn't I think of that? That is an excellent idea! You are right, whenever I stayed in hotels in Riviera, I didn't see one insect, and now we have a house there seem to be plenty. I suppose that it doesnt help that we are in the Esterel which is dense forest.

I will ask the next time I am there in August.

Thanks

Jacqueline

Sorry no image available
Posted by MSM2000UK-181816 - 14 years ago

Hi,

Just a suggestion albeit not a solution.

It seems that there are more than just one of you with the problem and so it is perhaps a summer thing. If there are any hotels nearby you, that have swimming pools, go in and ask to speak to the gardeners and pool boys. They may well have an idea as to how to get rid of them, or at least what attracts them...it may be a particular flower or plant that you have nearby the pool.

Good luck

Max

Sorry no image available

Hi Matilda

I have just bought a property near Cannes and I too am having dreadful problems with these ugly millipede, worm type insects that just will not go away. However much you spray the area they come back, and after the rain comes it is even worse.

Of course sweeping them up is not a viable option, they just come back!!!!

Please contact me if you have found a remedy. I do not believe it is something we have to put up with.

regards

Jacqueline

Sorry no image available
Posted by dlmarlow - 15 years ago

just sweep them up... thats it...they are a part of pool life like leaves...but a daily sweep usually reduces the massive volume