DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

bringing a cat back to the US

Posted by k UMGELTER - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by k UMGELTER - 13 years ago

Thank you all for the information...!  Very helpful and most assuring as to what to expect.  If anyone thinks of something they can add as useful information please let me know... I am all ears for any information on this so that it isn't hard on him or me.K Umgelter

Sorry no image available
Posted by leslie-179832 - 13 years ago

Krista,

20 hours is a long time, I agree. I think ejh is correct though. I am not sure it is a good idea to let her out, but if you feel you need to I suggest doing it in the ladies room where they have the baby changing facilities. You can pull the the shelf down for changing and let her have a walk, but I think she will probably not be to interested in leaving the box, and if she does, you may have problems getting her back in it. Getting in the box I think is very traumatic and best left alone to the one time they have todo it.

I say play it by ear.

Best of luck on your voyage!

Leslie

Sorry no image available
Posted by ejh - 13 years ago

I traveled here from Seattle with my cat 2 months ago and she was fine. It was approx. 20 hours, with the layovers and transport time to and from the airport. My cat held it the whole time. I think they don't like to do anything when they are not comfortable. She did not eat or drink or do much but sleep in the carrier. I felt bad about that, but a day later she was fine and healthy. Unfortunately there's not much you can do, but they will be fine.

Sorry no image available

Hi Leslie,

Thanks for the info... this is great.  My travel time will be 20+ hours...!  The layover in some major airport in Europe might be very difficult.... Poor thing - 20 hours is a bloody long time.  Did you bring food to give him? Water?  Are there places in the airports where I can let him at least get out of the container to walk, stretch or something?

I appreciate your help and information - this is very very kind of you.. it is reassuring and also nice to know what to expect and all of that.

Krista

K Umgelter

Sorry no image available

Krista,

It is odd, but the cat will not go to the bathroom while on the plane. I put down an adult diaper  ( dpends) on the bottom of the box, just in case, and bring an extra one for a change should something happen. Do not worry, they seem to know not to go! it is a good idea to also put a toy or cloth that they like in with them while traveling.

Regards,

Leslie

Sorry no image available

Thank you so much for the information.. this is great stuff to know (especailly about calming medicine)... just one question.. how do you manage for the cats bladder????.  Thanks.

Krista

K Umgelter

Sorry no image available

Hi K-

My bestfriend just took her French cat to Texas last week. What J&C said is correct. She had to have a certificate of health within 2 weeks of travel. She purchased a cat box, which you need to get the size requirements from the Airline you are flying. It needs to fit under the seat in front of you. You must pay to take the cat on the plane  ( kitty ticket)as well as confirm his/her flight before departure. My friend actually had to bring her cat to the NIce airport and have staff from KLM take a look at the size of the cat. I am not sure if this is policy with all airlines in France.

I took my cat here from NYC and she was just fine. It is a great idea to take your pet with you. They are family and they will not be traumatized for life afterwards. It does take a few days for them to get used to new surroundings again, but while traveling they seem to stay pretty calm. I think they are too scared to do anything else.

I make only one reccomendation, do not give your cat anything to make it calm or sleep. Because of the altitude on the plane, cats can often die due to the strong effect of the medicine. They are fine with out it.

good luck!

Leslie

Sorry no image available
Posted by J & C-187881 - 13 years ago

I emailed the American Embassy reagarding this a couple of months ago and they do not require much. There is no quarentine unless you are going to the islands (Hawaii...). You do need to book it with the airline you are flying with to see their regulations and costs. For example, the airline I am flying with requires a general health exam of my cat within 2 weeks of my departure (given by a certified vet). I have the email the American Embassy sent me regarding taking a pet back, so if you would like me to forward it to you just email me directly.

Good luck!