DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Bunion surgery

Posted by MikeP-180526 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

What a wonderful resource this AI forum is! 

Thanks to all of you who replied to me with emails with positive and negative recommendations,  and to Lana for the comments.

I will pass on all this information.

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 13 years ago

I can't recommend any doctors because my experience was in New York, but I can offer some comments. There are several types of surgeries, ranging from a conservative type where you only have to wear one of those ugly shoes with a wooden sole during recovery, to a quite drastic type where you must use crutches for several weeks after the surgery.

I've known a couple of people who had the conservative surgery and were very happy with it. I had it at the same time that I had my hammer toes fixed and there is no visible scar. The recovery was very quick, though one can expect some twinges of nerve pain for up to a year afterwards.

The type of surgery you have also depends on how bad the bunion is. If it's gone to the point where the toes are crossing over, then it's probably too late for the conservative surgery. I worked with someone who had both feet done, but by different doctors. She was amazed at the difference between the two approaches and wishes she had had the conservative surgery to begin with. Her first doctor only did one type of bunion surgery--the drastic kind. It is advised to seek out a doctor who does the many different types of surgeries in order to get the best advice.

I might also add that although it may seem like a good idea initially, it is NOT recommended to have both feet done at once. You need to have one foot able to bear weight, so there should be several months between the two surgeries. I also think it's a good idea to have foot surgery done after winter has passed. That way one can wear light shoes such as sandals and athletic shoes during recovery and not have the problem of wearing boots or slipping on ice or snow--not really an issue here, but it may be in Switzerland.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by Admin-179828 - 13 years ago

A reminder: names and contact details of medical personnel must not be posted to the Forum. If you can help, please use the e-mail link provided.-----
Forums Administration