DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Burning Buses!

Posted by angel-187474 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Has anyone heard anything about the transport company whose buses were all set alight last night in Sophia Antipolis?   Yet another manifestation ??

My partner called enroute to tell me that I'm going to HAVE to learn how to drive now, because he doubted there'd be any bus service for a while.

I didn't understand much of what he was saying as he was speaking in a somewhat rapid and incredulous babble ...

Haven't heard a word about it on i news.

xx A.

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by fugly-185614 - 14 years ago

angel, I read your last post "V.V :     I read your first sentence; "... no paying tax kind of people who usually frequent this kind of forum" ... and realising immediately that it indicated an elevated level of ignorance, I didn't bother with the rest ..."

and smiled, very lady like :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by angel-187474 - 14 years ago

V.V :     I read your first sentence; "... no paying tax kind of people who usually frequent this kind of forum" ... and realising immediately that it indicated an elevated level of ignorance, I didn't bother with the rest ...

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

VirtualVoyager68 !

You've missed the point ! Some of us actually don't care how often the French strike , Marseilles is a classic example of the Unions ( Syndicates) wrecking the local economy - thats principally why they've lost the America's Cup !

What we do , ( enjoying the lifestyle here ) , is , because of the social problems in France , send our business outside , to other european or non european countries , where the populace are prepared to work for a fair wage , enterprises aren't taxed to the hilt to pay obscene retirement pensions to bus drivers who want to retire on full salary at the age of 55 , and seem to be permanently on strike ( like the railway workers , the fonctionnaires , the dockers , the fishermen ,the teachers , and anyone else working within a state run enterprise ) ; you are a  naive and foolish people ,( and pretty corrupt into the bargain as well ) and you will ruin your national economy slowly but surely over retirement and pension reforms which should have been put in place under Mitterand 10 years ago ! Don't even mention the social charges and the 35 hour week , put in place by Jospin to encourage employment - quelle connerie !

Watch out : the British are moving in big time because their own country is now overcrowded , ( with 4th generation immigrants ) and they will take over the running of this country , just like they now control the Dordogne and the Perigord , and Bordeaux in the last century ! Chirac will stumble soon and the whole jolly lot will come tumbling down - guignol could do a better job !!

My Bank Manager ( French ) said to me 5 years ago - don't whatever you do , open a business in France - you'll get zapped !

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by bridget j-183853 - 14 years ago

To Virtual Voyager

Who is the "far-right hobby fascist" here? I'm French and I agree with you that the French way of life is really good, so why are those people who are always on strike not happy with it? Unlike in many other countries in Europe, French workers only have to work 35 hours/week, and as Mike P says, an excellent but expensive social security and unemployment conditions that are good and that really don't encourage you to work. I have just started a business here, but I don't know if I'll be able to maintain it as the social charges are really high, and I certainly won't be able to employ anyone for a while. I think those high social charges are killing employment in France.

Sorry no image available
Posted by VirtualVoyager68-179852 - 14 years ago

Well its better with solidarity than the far right hobby facist - no paying tax kind of people who usually frequent this kind of forum. If one does not like the French lifestyle its just to packup and move out. On the other hand I do agree that there are strikes and strikes and the French might overdo it a bit compared to the rest of it... But its better to have the right to strike and express oneself than to be wage slaves like in most other societies. Its sad when innocents gets affected but - after living here for some years one gets used to the ups- and downs.

The Short Viking
VirtualVoyager68

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

quote:no need for striking bus drivers: fire the lot and give their jobs to people who WANT TO WORK!

If they are fired they doubtless get undeserved unemployment benefits subidised by those of us who pay 22% of our income to feed them.  And who WANTS to work .... when they can get the same unemployment benefits, tax free,  for sitting on their backsides.

No wonder so many multinationals are shutting up shop and giving up trying to do business in France,  as the cost of employment is higher than anywhere else in Europe, especially when one takes into consideration the days lost through strikes and hypochondria.  All of course the fault of an overgenerous and greatly abused Social Security system.  The best in Europe,  if not the world,  and it should be too as it is amongst the most expensive. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rouretan - 14 years ago

The SOMA bus company employees are on strike although the pension debate DOES NOT CONCERN THEM.

They are disrupting the lives of local people especially school children out of "solidarity" (= perverse communist ideology).

Because no one is listening to them they have decided to burn their "tools"; I would think that this is a serious fault and should be punished by a sacking... but in any even no buses, no need for striking bus drivers: fire the lot and give their jobs to people who WANT TO WORK!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jan-181414 - 14 years ago

It was on Riviera Radio too. Some of us still listen. But it was only 10 buses, not the whole fleet.Jan

Anything for a peaceful life

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tricia-187458 - 14 years ago

It was in the French news on TV today...

Sorry no image available
Posted by angel-187474 - 14 years ago

Partner said it talk him 30 mins to get to work this morning (instead of the usual 10) because of all the police and the protestors.

Just gave him a call .. think he may have been slightly exaggerating there when he said all the buses were burning.  Apparently there were "a number" ?? of them burning - most likely set alight in protest.

I haven't met a single French citizen that doesnt grumble about how this country's social security system needs a jolly good overhaul - so the govt starts taking action ... and ....  !!#*?        What next ?!#