DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

buying off plan- help please

Posted by jyexley - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Andrew.Wilk - 15 years ago

We looked at all of Nice's off-plan developments last year, before eventually settling for a "bird in the hand"  existing appartment for sale. Do what you feel's right for you of course, but we learnt:

Unless you are one of the first buyers in the release, often "what's left unsold" isn't very attractive.

Have a good hard look at those room sizes and get to know your square metres.. A so called une piece one bedroom often had just room for the bed in it and almost nothing else but the four walls around it.

Do you really want to wait a year or more to get in?

Compare value for money between what you pay off-plan and the second hand market. Never mind the savings on Notaire fees, its the actual price that counts. See whats on offer at the local estate agents before you make up your mind.

Lastly, whatever you do, DO IT!

Good Luck

Sorry no image available
Posted by lynnettejane1 - 15 years ago

Hi, I don't know what a Bouygues develpoment is, but judging by what people have learned when buying over here there are certain rules you should set yourself.

Find your own (English speaking) notaire or make sure you have an interpretor there, this can cost you, it cost us £300.

Don't let agents keep refering back to the franc when they are calculating, keep strictly between £s and euros, I am sure that the constant calculating between the three currencies is done deliberately to confuse and it works in their favour.

Don't be afraid to make an offer to the owner direct in front of the agent rather than letting him do the negociating, he will probably hate you for that.

Don't do a cash deal no matter how much you love the place, you will be saving the owner tax only to pay it yourself in the future if it is a second home. Be willing to walk away.

After the compromise is signed nothing can be changed.

You always have the option of having you own lawyer, I'm sure someone will know an English speaking one.

That's my twopennuth, hope it helps, I,m sure there others who can add more, all the best

lynnette

Sorry no image available
Posted by lynnettejane1 - 15 years ago

Hi, I don't know what a Bouygues develpoment is, but judging by what people have learned when buying over here there are certain rules you should set yourself.

Find your own (English speaking) notaire or make sure you have an interpretor there, this can cost you, it cost us £300.

Don't let agents keep refering back to the franc when they are calculating, keep strictly between £s and euros, I am sure that the constant calculating between the three currencies is done deliberately to confuse and it works in their favour.

Don't be afraid to make an offer to the owner direct in front of the agent rather than letting him do the negociating, he will probably hate you for that.

Don't do a cash deal no matter how much you love the place, you will be saving the owner tax only to pay it yourself in the future if it is a second home. Be willing to walk away.

After the compromise is signed nothing can be changed.

You always have the option of having you own lawyer, I'm sure someone will know an English speaking one.

That's my twopennuth, hope it helps, I,m sure there others who can add more, all the best

lynnette