DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Bypassing Administrator password on Mac

Posted by Junegolfe - Created: 7 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Junegolfe - 7 years ago

Back here again ChristopherL,just in case you may have OS cd...It is a Mac 7,1. need Mac OS X 10.5.8 .Does this make sense??Thanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by Junegolfe - 7 years ago

Thanks for your advice and offers of help.I can use the computer ,I just can't install updates etc.The model is eluding me..no markings on it at all..where do I find that info? It is a desktop at least 4 years old.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristopherL-188542 - 7 years ago

You can do what George suggests to get additional admin privs - for example to install some software. That would be OK if for example you have auto-logon enabled and you can access your files but can' t do admin actions. But it your current loss of password is preventing you logging in, the command line feature won't give you access to your old admin account which will continue to have all the contents encrypted until you can reset the password appropriately.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristopherL-188542 - 7 years ago

No there is no way round this. The failsafe method is to install the same installation media that you used for the first OSX install.
What exact model is it? I may have original installation media.

Sorry no image available
Posted by George Strouthous - 7 years ago

Hi, found this on a site, not sure if it will work but worth a try:
Creating a new Admin on Mac Os X:
Here's how to reset your OS X password without an OS X CD.
the Working solution for me was to create a new admin
you can create new admin like this by deleting a specific file.

You need to enter terminal and create a new admin account:

1. Reboot
2. Hold apple key + s key down after you hear the chime. (command + s on newer Macs)
3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and your good to go again!

Here is the website if you want to check it out:http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-73393-change-mac-admin-password-without-the-disk