DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Cable TV? Can anyone out there help?!

Posted by Jelly-193845 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by paulbag79 - 14 years ago

Finally GoFrance to sign off with this. I've made contact with lots of people who have 512 Wanadoo Broadband E35 per mois unlimited access, and the 1012 WB is about 5-10 Euros more. No problems apparently, hardly down, quick and informative. Just what ya need! 

Thanks for help. ps on the cable, the 'building' has 24 free channels and it kills me to watch 'Friends' and UK programmes in French even though I'm trying to speak French!! 

Good Luck and thanks again

Jelly 

Male 24 years i am a chef/deckhand living in europe.

Sorry no image available
Posted by gofrance - 14 years ago

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine that IF the cable coming in for free is NC, and you have a box, you should be able to switch it to English. You may want to call NC and ask if the person speaks English. It's .15 a minute, but when I called to add some channels, the person I spoke to was saying something I totally couldn't understand, so he switched to English. If the person who answers doesn't speak English, ask for someone who does. That way you can be sure of your answer. I wouldn't trust what someone at Darty or FNAC tells you. The # for NC is 0-890-711-712.

That would make sense about the internet, explain some of the unreliability of service. But for the money, I think it's a really good deal. Maybe someone here has experience with Wanadoo, but I was a tech reporter before moving here and I can tell you... high-speed access is notoriously unreliable with all providers.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jelly-193845 - 14 years ago

Hi gofrance, you're an angel!!

I've been digging around today and am pleased to say I got some things sussed! My building has 24 free Cable channels (JIMMY, COMEDIE, but no BBC, CNN, Sky News though) and it is covered in the Service Charge!! If I go for my own NC (box) and the cheapest package (UK channels), will the box allow me to alter the language on the free channels already there to VO as you said before? (Then playing dumb would ne cool?) Anyone else know this?        

Also, FYI, the NC + Internet package looks cool, BUT I hear that Wanadoo run the 'traffic' on this and their traffic comes first!! the 512K Broadband unlimted acces package is only E35 Euros a month and is speedy!!

Cheers

Jelly

Sorry no image available

Oh, just another thought on the English programming... you may also want to buy one of the cheaper DVD players and get a membership at a FuturVideo or something. Almost all DVDs have an English language option. The only ones that don't seem to very often (or don't say on the packaging, and I'm too afraid I'll waste money on a rental I don't understand well) are the French movies. I love the FuturVideo distributor machines. So cool!

Sorry no image available

If I were you, I would just play dumb about whatever the landlord wants, go to Darty, FNAC or some place that has Numerique Cable, and sign up for service. You know it's already installed there. Then you'll get your own box, etc.

As far as the cable modem, it does not use a telephone line except, I believe, during installation... so there are no charges on that end. The speed is very fast (I have the 512K), but it seems to be down more frequently than dial-up. Anyone else have NC internet? Anyway, even with the glitches, it is WAY cooler than dialup and, when you get a package with cable TV, it is about the same price.

Feel free to ask me any more questions. If you'd rather, you can e-mail me at gofrance.guide@about.com.

Cheers!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jelly-193845 - 14 years ago

Hi

Thanks for help, I'm getting there. My landlord is a bit difficult! I think he pays for Cable that doesn't need the box (done centrally through remote control) It's called 'Abonnement NC TV Evasion'. I wonder, as he won't change this if I can get it all myself regardless if he has the other package? Do you get a card for the NC box here? The Cable Internet package still needs a France Telecom line right? How much do you pay FT a month to access Cable Internet? Are there any other charges to use cable Internet? (with FT or with Cable?)

Cheers

Jelly

Sorry no image available

Numerique Cable is a cable co. here. You will need a box to set it to VO. In the main menu when you have a box, you can go into the settings and say you want your default language to be English. You can also change it for one show by clicking the + button and selecting English. I'd ask your landlord if you can have the box back or get your own from the cable co. You may want to just sign up for the cable yourself. If you add movie channels, you get lots more English programming (especially the TPS channels). They also offer high-speed internet. We got cable and high-speed internet for $50/mo. for both. Good deal.