DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

calling collect to the US?

Posted by sarahch - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

does anyone know how to call collect to the US?  is there such a thing here?

thanks in advance!

Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Dial 0811 65 3131 (Telerabais) the 00 1 area code +  number.  This will cost you a local call.

Ask them to call you back.  Cheaper for all concerned.

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

I agree with the previous replies.  Collect calls are a thing of the past with the huge choice of cut price international options now available (most often without operator).  Americans seem to have a legacy of relying upon operator services or collect calls for overcoming the cost/difficulty of calling home when abroad - or up until recently, even for long-distance within the USA. 

Just for the record, you can call collect to USA by so many different methods that I couldn't list them here but you really need to know how much that is going to cost your called party.  e.g. between $5 and $7.50 call surcharge (depending upon automated collect or operator assisted) and anything between 70c and $1 per minute thereafter.  Quite scandalous when you realise that for the effort of learning an access number and knowing how to dial 001 before your 10 digits, you can call the USA for between 1.8 and 3 Euro cents per minute.

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

Personally, I use a call-back service. You dial a number and hang-up on the first ring. It calls you back automatically and you dial the number as if you were calling from the US, starting with 1 and then the area code. You get charged the same rate as if your call originated from the US--no more panicking when put on hold!

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

If you look in the France Telecom directory I am sure it gives details of the 'call home' schemes.  I'd look it up for you but we don't have a FT directory.

Sorry no image available
Posted by gerbil-194494 - 14 years ago

Why bother. Assuming you have your own telephone line why not sign up with one of the telephone services other than France Telecom, e.g. Cegetel, Tele2, etc. You'll find calls to the US are only about 5 cents/min (the same as a call to the UK). You need to dial 3123 to get an international operator; presumably they can then activate a call collect to the US.