DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Can anyone suggest a good ADSL Provider

Posted by Annelise-191985 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by simonwynne - 14 years ago

I use NC cable that appears to be the main provider here on the Riviera,

Reason is that I also have the cable tv that has a few news english channels plus movies in VM/VO depending what you subscirbe to.

Cost of the broadband adsl starts at 20 euroes /month 128  and 25 euros /month 512, providing you have the tv cable as well...which is about 35 euros month.

these figures are ttc [tax inclus]..

hope thats some help.

Simonice

Sorry no image available
Posted by simonwynne - 14 years ago

I use NC cable that appears to be the main provider here on the Riviera,

Reason is that I also have the cable tv that has a few news english channels plus movies in VM/VO depending what you subscirbe to.

Cost of the broadband adsl starts at 20 euroes /month 128  and 25 euros /month 512, providing you have the tv cable as well...which is about 35 euros month.

these figures are ttc [tax inclus]..

hope thats some help.

Simonice

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

I guess it is a USB hub, so the cable between the PC and the hub shouldnt be extended or the USB bit wont work.  You can extend the cable between the phone socket adapter and the USB hub.

If it is an Ethernet hub, the cables between the hub and the PC can be quite long, upto 100m at least.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by ian81-188951 - 14 years ago

the simple answer is go to http://www.agence.francetelecom.com/vf/navs/frame.php?fh=5&fg=5&cf=A/vf/internet_multimedia/haut_debit/index.shtml and lick on the adsl chez vous link and enter phone number and post code.

Re the 1.5m -this would equate to the length of the connecting leads and whilst there are ways of extending these the easiest would be to move the phone socket or use an extension lead

Sorry no image available
Posted by yjme-181229 - 14 years ago

Easiest way is to call or ask France Telecom, they will tell you straight away with your phone numer.  Even if you have the same postcode as another, it doesn't mean that you have adsl. I am one of those unfortunates! From what I gather it is uniquely to do with your phone number and the exchange it is on.  I shall have to wait until summer apparently.  Does anyone use Cegetel? They have a great deal going, but I wondered about the service?

Just a quick question for those techies following this thread. I set up adsl for friends with FT and the woman on the phone said that the computer must be within 1.5 metres of the telephone socket. Is this right and why, or did she mean the little box?

Sorry no image available
Posted by TerryT-188383 - 14 years ago

I'm with Tele2 on an Antibes phone number and have no problems. But I did check a few sites to see whether I could get ADSL before choosing to. Try checking a few more sites. You might have to actually click on the "buy" button and then they'll check to see if you can get it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by SJ-190944 - 14 years ago

My postal code is 06600, but the tiscali website checked my phone number and said it couldn't be sure if I could get ADSL or not.  Is anyone else in Antibes getting it, or is only part of the area enabled?

Sorry no image available

...sorry forgot to add that only part of your area is covered for ADSL if you are in LA TURBIE

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

Well normally Cap d'Ail is covered for basic access and higher speeds subject to partial or full degroupage.  I can't understand why 9Telecom says that they do not provide there.

Do a forum search.  There are a  ton of alternatives and some lively discussions that took place here recently

Sorry no image available

Can you have ADSL on your line at all? -try checking tiscali they are offering 512k @20€ / month.

Also try checking France Telecom -the local exchange may not be enabled.