DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Can I add a USB port to an old computer

Posted by LaDraille-183995 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by southpole - 14 years ago

I have a Pentium I and want to transfer data to my new laptop. The new item has no parallel port and that is all the old one has; the old one has a floppy drive, the new one has none. I bought a "Detto Intellimover" from Dell and a port replicator. The idea there will not work. Anyone with help is appreciated!Always ready to learn.

Sorry no image available
Posted by punc - 15 years ago

I don't think you're going to be able to go Serial to USB to hub to camera.

As an alternative to ripping apart your machine, or buying a newer one, you may still be able to find a SmartMedia Reader that will plug into a serial port. (Assuming your camera uses SmartMedia.) That way you avoid the direct USB -->camera connection. You have to remove the card from the camera each time you want to download and the transfers will be slower than a USB port, but .....

The problem with technology; prototype, obsolete. There's nothing in between.

Sorry no image available
Posted by fugly-185614 - 15 years ago

no you are probably right, but they may have something else on the site that could help.

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 15 years ago

I don't think that will connect to a serial port (the d connector one) - it requires a 1 x serial High Speed USB port. I'm sure the bandwidth on a bog standard serial comm port isn't really up to even USB 1 speeds. Phone them or email them just in case, I may be wrong.

Sorry no image available

Try this, it may be what you are looking for, goto the specification section just to make sure, it is a usb hub that plugs into the serial port of your computer.

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 15 years ago

I don't think you can get such an item (serial to USB hub)?

Maybe (if possible) you should think about emptying a PCI slot?

If you have your mother board manual you can look for it to see if you have a set of pins marked USB header. You can then get the USB adaptor for it. Its designed to go into a blank space where the PCI/ISA/AGP ports are but you could custom mod the case and mount them anywhere that the cable reaches.

(watch out as different main board headers have different pin layouts so you need to know the make of your motherboard)

Sorry no image available
Posted by LaDraille-183995 - 15 years ago

Yes, it is for a digital camera. I don't have any space left for an internal port, so it would have to be external. I am running win 98 and ideally I would like to buy a USB external port that connects into a spare seriel port if such a thing exists.  I don't have any memory problems. (not on the PC that is !!)

Sorry no image available

It depends on whether the port is external on internal.  If the port is internal you need to see if there is enough room on the mother board for another card.  If it is external then you simply need to see if you have the relevant socket for it to plug into.  The only other spec you really need to worry about is the compatibility of the software.  If you are running windows 95 it may not support a usb port.  All other versions of windows you should not have a problem with and the software will not be that large so there should not be anyproblem with the hard drive space.  What device are you looking to run through the port?  a camera by any chance?

Sorry no image available
Posted by punc - 15 years ago

You look at the required spec on a USB card, and if your old computer matches it, or is better, it will (should) work.