DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Can I bring my plants when I move to France?

Posted by 2004sparkles-193110 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by sheila bardon - 14 years ago

The only restrictions are on fruit bearing plants (- which I think can be imported if they have a ministry agriculture & fisheries certificate - don't even think of going there!) I bought poppy seeds in Carrefour Antibes to use in my breadmaker - maybe they were a different approved variety....sheila

Sorry no image available
Posted by gerbil-194494 - 14 years ago

Generally I don't think there are any problems importing plants for personal use (possibly it is more of a problem because of soil diseases or plant bugs so you should be cautious), however there are certain plants which you are not allowed to grow in France which are allowed in the UK. As an example, a french friend, who is a patissier, mentioned recently growing the poppy (papava somniferum), the seeds of which are used in cakes in the UK, (or selling poppy seeds in France) is forbidden whereas that poppy is often grown in the UK.However, I do not know of a list of forbidden plants.

Sorry no image available
Posted by 2004sparkles-193110 - 14 years ago

I'm moving soon and have a garden full of plants in pots ... can I bring them with me or are there laws preventing this .. has anyone had experience of this??