DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Can you recommend a decent spread?!

Posted by melody-189421 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

Heh-heh! It seems odd to be craving the lowly parsnip, but they are certainly yummy roasted and certain soups just aren't the same without one added. I used to  find them in Spain and it amazes me that the French do not know them. There's an entry in the dictionary, but I haven't seen one crop up in any recipes.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by airletter - 14 years ago

You can get parsnips at the (very) expensive grocers in Valbonne (the one off the main car park by La Poste. But they're only available in season...

Sorry no image available
Posted by nbay - 14 years ago

Most french people I have met don't even know what a parsnip is let alone tasted one, however they do seem curious to try them.

Actually they're my favourite veggie, especially roasted.
The English food shop in Antibes - Godfrey's sells them at Christmas time.
But don' leave it to late as they sell like hot cakes!

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

I don't know if all Monoprix are the same, but the one in Cannes has an excellent bakery with a really impressive variety of loaves that I just haven't found anywhere else. They carry quite an assortment of different types of non-white breads from different regions.

I've found that even standard types of breads of the "cereal" type vary considerably from one bakery to the next.

Some of my fond food memories of living in the UK were of granary loaves, blue chesire cheese, cox's orange pippins and stilton. Speaking of which, has anyone ever seen a parsnip anywhere on the CDA?

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by nbay - 14 years ago

Our local Champion supermarché - Mougins Le Cannet - has a bakery that sells fresh baguette au cereals 70cts; nice change from all the white stuff, they also sell pain au cereals for 1 euro, not quite the same as the those soft granary loaves back home but the next best thing.

We use Bridelight low fat 25% spread - carrefour sell the 500 gram version

Hope this helps

Sorry no image available
Posted by VictoriaB-187745 - 14 years ago

I believe flora exists in france, I can't remember what they call it but the packaging is the same...VictoriaB