DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Can you recommend a International transporters

Posted by TracyEB - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by dexter-189875 - 14 years ago

have you tried ET Brokers.Com?don't know if they have companies transporting to Australia but they certainly found us a good deal with a super company and saved us hundreds of pounds. We paid them just £30 for the contact details, well worth it!

Sorry no image available
Posted by TracyEB - 14 years ago

Dear BKBoss,

Would you write to my email directly to tell me of this company - that is not against angloinfo regulations?

Forewarned is forearmed - thanks for this very piece of helpful advice.

REgards,

Tracy

boldface@aws.fr

Tracy
boldface@aws.fr
06 2101 4307

Sorry no image available
Posted by Aroncb - 14 years ago

BKboss,

You should have some recourse with your damage - I'd suggest visiting  a lawyer.  I have had a courier lose/damage majority of last months shipments for my business.  They even have duty to ensure the product is delivered in a time scehdule and active contact with the recipient to deliver is maintained.

When a carrier undertakes to transport and deliver goods a duty of care will exist. This is additional to further duties and obligations that exist under contracts entered into. In the event of something going wrong in the performance of a contract the carriers may find themselves liable for damage or loss, or for late delivery.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bkboss-189534 - 14 years ago

I had about 20 boxes shipped from England (no furniture) and most of it arrived broken in the boxes and some things went missing. No problem, I thought, as I made sure it was all insured. Not the case. The shippers involved did not bother responding to me and haven't done since - this happened in April this year. I thought I would cut out the middle man and go direct to the insurer that they quoted would be insuring my goods. The insurance company had no idea of who the shippers were and said that did not underwrite a "policy" for them. I only wish I could name and shame them on this site to prevent others from going through the same thing as me. 

A harsh lesson learnt. Do not accept things as gospel, as I did. It is worth spending a little time checking out who will be handling your belongings and how trustworthy they are.

Good luck.

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

I had the opposite happen; the stuff was here before we had even finished painting the apartment and I had to ask them if they wouldn't mind holding off delivery for a few days. It took just over two weeks for the goods to arrive from NYC.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by kmdd-189863 - 14 years ago

Tracy,

I agree 100% with Mike. My husband and I were living in the U.S. before coming here. Our things were picked up on June 6th and guaranteed an arrival in France of July 10th.  It's now September 28th and we still don't have our things. It has been a nightmare... and as we used a reservation service.. the movers are blaming them for the the guaranteed date, etc, etc....

Don't use anything related to 'Moving Services' or 'Global Ocean Freight/Carriers'..

My husband has much confidence in Demeco.. but I don't know how they handle their international moves.

Good luck!

K

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

Have you checked through the selection in AngloINFO's Removals & Shipping category?

My one suggestion would be to look for a shipper that will actually move the stuff themselves from here to Australia (rather then subcontracting bits of the process). That way, if something goes a bit pear-shaped with the move you only have one company to shout at, and there is not doubt where the responsibility lies...

Mike