DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Can you see Corsica?

Posted by lob-189383 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by skaterboy - 14 years ago

yes of course! , here are my photos:

100-300mm canon eos 3000 7:30 am 1/01/2003500mm nikon D1 (coef 1,5) 7:45am

best regard

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sol-192236 - 14 years ago

My wife and I went to that unbelievably expensive , but brilliant restaurant in Eze village one lunchtime . And we were confidently told by the waiter that they could see Corsica on clear mornings.

However, given the size of the  bill, they should have told us anything we wanted to hear !!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by PnC - 14 years ago

I dont really understand the physics though some here obviously do but i saw corsica regularly in November last year from just above the Moyenne corniche in Villefranche. It was clearest when the sun was rising just behind it as it backlit the whole island.

now the sun rises further to the east it no longer back lights it, however, I was very surprised to see a dim shadow of the mountains the other day in the afternoon when i was sitting on my balcony. (the day after all the haze cleared - friday i think) - i also have a reasonable sunrise photo if you want to see it?

Sorry no image available
Posted by ordrey - 14 years ago

The northern coast of Elba is nearly as far north as the northern tip of Corsica.Thus it should be possible to see it on a clear day.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Collie21 - 14 years ago

In August it can be seen clearly from Nice for 24 hrs a day, but it means having to go to the airport and taking a plane, which I do.By the way a mirage is something you think you see which is not there. for instance a lake in the desert. and normally caused by heat and light.hey does that wall have a crack in it?

Sorry no image available
Posted by brendaj - 14 years ago

You can most certainly see Corsica from here above the village at Eze.(between the middle and grande corniche.)I have seen it now on several occasions over the last two years. If you would like to send to me your e-mail address I will attach a photo of it to you, taken one evening.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

This site calculates apparant altitude of distant objects taking atmospheric refraction into account.

http://www.iol.ie/~geniet/eng/refract.htm

As an example, if the temperature is 5C and the pressure 1000 mb, you will be able to see peaks above 1570m if they are 160km away.  Without refraction you would be able to see above about 1670m, from the beach

So refraction lets you see about 100m more of the peaks

If you are 50m above see level, you will be able to see peaks above 1070m

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by pjd-185342 - 14 years ago

I've seen it from Peymeinade.....

Sorry no image available
Posted by gollum-193507 - 14 years ago

It is very simple geometry to work out the horizon formula. But it boils down to Miles=2.072*sqr(height of eye in m).

Monte Cinto in Corsica is 2710m high, and is 102 miles away from our side of the coast. So a few quick taps of the calculator and you can show that you should just be able to see the peak of Monte Cinto from the beach, depending on the weather.

If you go a little higher, you can see more of Corsica. I have seen it ok from the Pic de L'Ours in the Esterel.

wiggly waw fish

Sorry no image available
Posted by ordrey - 14 years ago

my dentists surgery is at the top of villefranche.He pointed out not only corsica one morning but also elba when its really really clear.