DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Can you teach me to cook Please?

Posted by Anusha-181570 - Created: 16 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by raj-185884 - 16 years ago

Hi,

never realised that there were so many curry lovers in this part of the world......let me get shelter above my head so that i can cook and invite you all .

happy eating until then.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anusha-181570 - 16 years ago

Wow! I have only just logged onto angloinfo after a few days and fell off my chair with the response and reply rate! So where were all you guys when I put an ad in for a place to live ay!

ANyhow thanks all for your input with a particular BIG THANKS to Leslie.

Raj.. offer sounds great and "legend-in-my-lunchtime" can join us! I will def come to Nice.. how could I pass up such an offer! Being half Indian myself, its about time I learnt the art of Indian culinary delights!

Email me your phone numbers on DivineAtma@yahoo.com

Maybe there is hope for me in the kitchen afterall...

ps- I should warn you that I am a fishaterian!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jan-181414 - 16 years ago

There's nothing like a soup made with the real thing.Raj...although I can cook and do cook curries, I would love to sit in on some real curry cooking. Keep me in mind, if you get round to planning this.JanAnything for a peaceful life

Sorry no image available
Posted by Runaway-182887 - 16 years ago

Sorry Mike,but gizzards (whatever they are and I really don't want to know) and hearts and scuzzy bits all sound a bit yuk to me - I'm still with Trudie on this one.  Reducing by 50% - does that mean I have to tip half of it down the sink????

Chicken Soup comes in tins with a Heinz label on the front - 4th aisle in at Tesco's. J

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 16 years ago

Legend: the difference between using raw chicken (entire if Leslie, bits if Mike) and cooked chicken is that the stuff in the bones &c. that actually give the stock its flavour haven't first been used up, giving their flavour to the roast!

Personally, I think that it's a tad de trop to use a whole chicken for stock. So here (with inexact quantities and instructions, from memory, and anyway I modify it epending on what I have around the place) is chicken stock à la mike.

Having jointed or de-boned a chicken or two (depending on what your recipe is), put the carcass and trimmings, together with the gizzard and heart in a stock pot with enough water to cover [note: getting the gizzard and heart at the same time as the rest of the chicken can be tricky these days, so they may heve to be sourced independently]. Bring slowly to the boil, skimming off all the scuzzy bits that come to the surface.

Add a leek split down the middle, a couple of carrots, an onion (stuck with one clove), a bouquet garni and a few peppercorns. Simmer for two hours or so, regularly removing the new scuzz that floats to the top. Add more water if necessary.

Then strain through a colander and you have your stock.

If freezing, I find it a good idea to reduce the finished stock by at least 50% (preferably more) and then to freeze it in ice-cube trays. Then each cube can be used in the same way as you would use a Knorr cube...

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 16 years ago

Hey thanks Leslie!! - the ice-cube stock idea is a winner! 

Leslie/Mike:  Methinks you 2 are in another league for this mother of all stocks.  What is the REAL difference between brand new chicken stock and stock made from previously owned/sucked chicken bones?

Raj! - I'm keen for Indian cooking lessons with a bottle of wine as entry fee.  Would rather do it at your place than mine as I think Indian needs lots and lots of ingredients that you only use a little of.  Maybe Anusha would like to join us to learn how to do a traditional Biriani or a Moglai dish?

I am starting to change my mind and see why Anusha thinks lessons are needed.  I've learned a lot in this thread and I am already a pretty capable cook.  Once you start talking about the subject, everyone has a personal "astuce" - the sort of thing you never learn in recipe books.

Thanks for the idea Anusha!

Sorry no image available
Posted by leslie-179832 - 16 years ago

I second that!

Buy a chicken and put it in a pot with carrot, cellery, onion ( whole but peeled, of course) bunch of parsley and simmer for several hours til meat falls off the bone and liquid is reduced. You should have a flavorful stock once you strain out the chicken and its bones and accompanying veggies. A good tip is to put your stock in an ice cube tray and freeze. Pop out a cube or two whenever you need to deglaze and make a pan sauce. Very handy and better than bought stock cubes. Not the same animal really!

Enjoy some of the soup withthe chicken pieces and boiled rice. A nice Jewish classsic!

Leslie

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 16 years ago

Chicken stock made with cooked bones!?

Tsk, tsk...

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by raj-185884 - 16 years ago

hi anusha

i can teach(?) cooking especially those lovely indian curries,and you donthave to provide wine as i can make nice "lassi"(yogurt drink) to go with it,

the only thing is i am in Nice centre but can drive .......

anything else.?

keep eating those pizzas till then...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Runaway-182887 - 16 years ago

Sorry Jan, but Trudies version of chicken stock sound more up my street!

Trudie, I tried toffe apples once, all I ended up with was a gooey, sticky mess in a tray and apples with sticks poking out if the top. If only I'd though about it, I could have cornered the market on Super Glue.

xx