DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Can you teach me to cook Please?

Posted by Anusha-181570 - Created: 17 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 11 to 20)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jan-181414 - 17 years ago

ok Legand you are forgiven this time, but you are going to get a reputation for being a finicky g-t if you carry on like this.RUNAWAYChicken stock....After you have finished eating that lovely roast chicken, throw all the bones into a large pan or a pressure cooker if you have one, add an onion, a carrot a couple of bay leaves and a handful of peppercorns. Simmer gently for about 2 hours or 30 min in a pressure cooker, strain. Then use in whatever recipe needs chicken stock, or freeze until you do need it.TRUDIEThe toffee apples, now what is there to say....apart from you still owe me a new saucepan. I would like to add that Trudie did ONCE make a very good trifle, I did take a photo and have it framed as it was such a rare occurrence(I think that's spelt right, I'm sure I will soon be notified if it's not xxx).JanAnything for a peaceful life

Sorry no image available
Posted by Trudie-183812 - 17 years ago

Jan - I can't believe you are telling people 'As long as you can read the recipe, what's the problem.'

All I shall say at this stage is toffee apples - and yes I was following the receipe and instructions.

Runaway - I knew what Lardons were and chicken stock comes in the form of a little cube.

Trudie

Sorry no image available
Posted by Runaway-182887 - 17 years ago

Jan,

Stir fries I can do!!!!!! trouble is that it always sets the smoke alarm off.

Legend,

Chicken stock??????????? I think Mike should add that to his list of 'WOT'!!!!

xx

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 17 years ago

Jan - trust you to go flairing your breast! [

P.S. I agree - spelling is insignificant compared to your renowned culinary talent. I assure you of the kindness of my Y- forgive me Zplease? I just couldn't resist the flame.

P.P.S.  I really meant marscapone cheese rather than gorgonzola

Sorry no image available

Sorry for my little spelling errors, trust Legend to find them and worse still make a point of telling the world.Most of us have the kindness in our hearts to forgive the little, unimportant things in life.FLAIRBREASTWhere there any moreJanAnything for a peaceful life

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 17 years ago

Ooooh gooody cooking!!  and it is LUNCHTIME too!  My favourite time - I wanna play!

Must say - I do agree with Jan's sentiments if not her spelling J .  Making nice ä for yourself or everyday family is really so much easier if you enjoy it and look forward to simple nutritious dishes with fresh ingredients.  There really is little to learn that you can't get from a recipe book.  Cooking impressive "nouvelle cuisine" or catering for dinner parties is another matter though and certainly merits classes.  What did you have in mind Anusha?  Everyday cooking or catering for special occasions?

Here's a quick tip to add to punc's and Jan's : In addition to having handy things like lardons, fresh veg and fresh tagliatelle in your fridge - always have a litre ofóchicken stock to hand.  That might mean you need to eat a chicken every week or so - but the benefits of home made rich stock when added to many dishes are unbelievable.  If you have kids and you cook supermarket pasta for convenience, try cooking it in 50% stock/50% cream mixture, load it with parmesan!!! - mop it up with fresh banette and gorgonzola cheese.  Yummy!  - 6 minutes, 1 pan, happy kids.

P.S. Jan wrote;

quote:It's so difficult to teach someone to cook.
You have the flare or you don't.

Jan - are you proposing flame-grilled?

Sorry no image available

MikeMaybe that's why I would not be a good teacher, I expect everyone to understand such simple instructions.PuncExactly, just what I was trying to say - It's about love, love for the food, and a love for eating good food, if you don't have that love it will not work.Tagliatelle au saumon sounds great to me. Who need's Mc Do's this is real fast food.Just wish that I had been INVITED to share it with you.You don't need to spend all day in the kitchen to eat well, just keep a good supply of all the essentials and you can throw together good healthy meals in minutes.I always keep plenty of vegetables and salad in the fridge.One of my favorites, if pushed for timeSTIRFRY...In a wok or large frying pan.Heat about 2 tablespoons sunflower oil, add chopped onion, garlic,fresh ginger, stir. Add chopped red pepper, mushrooms, courgette, broccoli and whatever other vegetables you have. Stir in some soya sauce and serve.This can be varied depending on what you have. Add some chopped chicken brest, some chopped steak or even sausages, for a veggi option, add some sesame seeds and/or cashew nuts.So easy...and all in about 15 minutes.And only one pan to wash.JanAnything for a peaceful life

Sorry no image available
Posted by punc - 17 years ago

Mike, Which also proves that if you can cook, you can't necessarily write recipes.

Anusha - Try the recipe book, "French - The secrets of classic cooking made easy" by Carole Clements and Elizabeth Wolf-Cohen. Lots of pictures, instructions for pastries and sauces as well the dishes themselves.

Start with the simple things, build up and then experiment.

The book doesn't mention Roux, but does mention "heavy pans" (which means a pan that is heavier than its handle) and "medium heat" (which is in the middle third; between high and low).

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 17 years ago

Lardons are bits of streaky bacon (cut into small chunks rather than sliced as rashers). Handy for - to take an example - a carbonara sauce.\

Jan also said:

quote:As long as you can read the recipe, what's the problem

Well, a lot of recipies are hard to read unless you already know how to cook. I know non-cooks who would be paralysed by instructions such as:

Make a roux (a what?)Add some salt (How much salt - a pinch? 25g? A kilo..?)Over a medium flame... (using the big gas-ring, the middle-sized one, or the small one? And what about electric hobs?)First bone the chicken (Yeah, riiiight...)Prepare the artichokes (How? By saying: "look here, artichokes, you should know you're about to get into hot water"?)Heat some oil or butter in a heavy pan (Well, what should it be, oil, or butter? If oil, what sort of oil? And how heavy is heavy? Does that mean I should use my biggest pan - which is the heaviest - or the pan which is heaviest relative to its size? And so on...)Remove the chicken breasts from the pan (And do what with them?)**************
Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by Runaway-182887 - 17 years ago

Trudie,

At least I know what puncs ingredients are!  Jan, what the heck is a Lardon???

xx