DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Car hire tragedy in Nice

Posted by DeeGee-189138 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

I was staggered to discover this afternoon that EasyCar have stopped trading in France! I have been a regular customer over the last couple of years and have saved a huge amount as a result of their great prices ( I've often thought it was too good to last) not to mention the convenience of their location.

What now?? It seems that most other companies only do 3-day minimum hire which isn't much good for me when I am doing a flying visit in one day to check on the building works on our house.

Any suggestions regarding alternatives will be greatly appreciated ( I need to be able to drive to the Frejus area )

Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

quote:Are they planning to close down indefinitly??

Yes and no. It seems that easyCar has no plans to continue keeping its own staff in France. However, as I pointed out on a previous thread, it is seeking a franchisee for Nice (among other "flagship sites"). easyCar seems to have decided that the franchise model (which it first used in Cyprus) is better for it than the wholly-owned approach,

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by Black Cat-192495 - 14 years ago

quote:Are they planning to close down indefinitly?id=quote> Seems that way in France but not everywhere. They will continue in the UK and some other countries where the venture is profitable.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Omar-194426 - 14 years ago

Are they planning to close down indefinitly??

Sorry no image available

quote:This made the French operation unprofitable for easyJet id=quote> I meant to say "This made the French operation unprofitable for easyCar"

Sorry no image available

I read a week or so ago in the business press that EasyCar is also considering shut-downs in some other European countries as well. The reason is that it is not a profitable operation everywhere (after all, if it was profitable they'd continue).Apparently they had planned on being allowed to conduct business under British Commercial and Labour Law like they do with EasyJet. But airlines are a very special case under EU law and other types of companies have to conduct business according to the Commercial, Tax and Labour laws of the country they trade in. This made the French operation unprofitable for easyJet and allowing it to continue under UK law would have been uninteresting for France (no French jobs or tax revenue at stake).A situation like this is a great pity for the French consumer but not for the French taxpayer.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Miss Varna - 14 years ago

You're welcome :-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by DeeGee-189138 - 14 years ago

Complete success -A thosand thanks! I will be flying about in a Smart car for the princely sum of 12 euros, inclusive. I hope other members will be able to take advantage of these great offers and keep this operator afloat.

Many thanks again Miss Varna 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Miss Varna - 14 years ago

How about Sixti, www.sixti.fr?