DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Carte de Séjour

Posted by nosugref - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Does anyone have any handy hints and advice on applying for this?

We have to deal with the Police Minicipale rather (usually) going to your local marie.

My wife has retired and got her carte vitale, and I am only working back in the UK VERY occasionally if at all.Is it correct that I need a 'french' National Insurance number?

Any advice is very welcome and please feel free to e-mail me with a response. 

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by munchkin-191066 - 14 years ago

My friend went to renew her CDS last week to be told that they were no longer issued and she might as well keep it as a souvenir! Apparently, no card of any type is required from now on....you may never have to go to the Prefecture again!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

I wonder if there is still a requirement for EU citizens to register in France, even if they dont need a CdS or whether the "Facture EDF" is enoughTony

Sorry no image available
Posted by balazsasztalos - 14 years ago

If you go at 13.30 it's done in 30 mins. They close at 14.30Balazs

Sorry no image available
Posted by brockster - 14 years ago

I'm actually an english student on a year abroah here and went to apply for my carte de sejour at the prefecture only to be told that i don't need one anymore as a law has been passed exempting those from EU who have a valid passport (within 6months)....

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

Well whaddy know?

The law removing the requirement for EU nationals (along with those from Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Switzerland) has been passed. details are still a bit sketchy about the detailed implementation as the Concil of State has still to issue its decree, but the law is, well, law.

Details (such as they are) and a link to the relevant law can be found here:

http://riviera.angloinfo.com/information/1/cds.asp

I'm still carrying mine around, however - the requirement to carry photo ID in France is much more easily fulfiled with a slim laminated card than a bulky passport :-)

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by anthonyb-187880 - 14 years ago

Thanks Mike,may go get it so..

Carol B.

Kind Regards
Anthony Brophy

Sorry no image available

You have been misinformed. There is some legislation being considered which will get rid of the CdS for EU citizens, but no decision has been made (never mind a timescale established). You need a titre de séjour if you stay in France for longer than three months. It's as simple as that.**************
Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by anthonyb-187880 - 14 years ago

We have been told that the Carte will no longer be needed here from Jan,is this true or would we be better to go and sort this now?????

Thanking you for help.

Carol B.

Kind Regards
Anthony Brophy

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tudor's mum - 14 years ago

Just something learned from experience....be waiting there at least 10 minutes before they open (if there are specific hours). We arrived 10 minutes after they opened and waited there all day long. We didn't realise it was going to take 7 hours, so we had nothing to do or read. All our papers were ready, so the actual process took 10 minutes for the two of us together. We just had to wait all day for those 10 minutes.

Sorry no image available

...but that's only relevant if you're non-EU.

The details of what you need are on AngloINFO's Carte de Séjour INFOrmation page. Having got everything together (if you are EU citizens, at least) it's simply a question of going down to the Préfecture, filling in the forms, and waiting a couple of weeks for your titre de séjour to arrive in the post.

Mike