Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


carte de sejour

Posted by colin rule - Created: 16 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by carolie-182474 - 16 years ago


Hi Carole here is the link to the angloinfo page for info on the carte de sejour. If your new employer wants you to have one then he will have to give you a letter stating that you need it for work and the prefecture will give you one. Hopes this helps.





Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 16 years ago

The Carte de Séjour scenario is still unclear. The new legislation makes it unnecessary for EU nationals to have a Carte in order to live in France. However, there are "certain circumstances" in which it will still be required. We are waiting for a decree from the Conseil d'État to clarify what these will be, but they almost certainly include running a business, probably include working in France, and may include other areas...

However, as a non actif you should be home and dry.


Sorry no image available
Posted by Carole-192914 - 16 years ago


i have seen your response to Colin but i am still unsure i  own a flat here in Mandelieu and am now actvely looking for a career here as i want to live

here permanantly.

Am i correct in assuming that all i have to do is find a job

and do not require a carte sejour . 

Sorry no image available
Posted by colin rule - 16 years ago

Hi Carol, many thanks for your reply, I think you have confirmed what I thought, I just need to get it official before we commit, 2004 may be the year !



Sorry no image available
Posted by carolie-182474 - 16 years ago

Hi Colin,

You do not say what nationality you are, if you are an En national then yes since last November you no longer need a carte de sejour to look for work. If your not from the EU you can get a non active Carte de sejour which is all you need to look for work once you get your work contract then you go back to the prefecture to get an active carte de sejour.

I hope this is of some help.