DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Carte de Sejour

Posted by SheilaT-198237 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by No.6 - 13 years ago

Miss Varna! I don't think we can be using the same post office! :-))

But thanks for the link, Tony, it's a remarkably nifty example of just how bureaucratic things can get!!  The only problem, I've found, with the sheer volume of evolving administrative laws and guidelines is that sometimes, when they're not quite in the right mood,the local civil servants choose to interpret the rules as they see fit... and when that happens, the Mairie Dragon is always right!

But on the whole, just to reassure SheilaT, I believe things are slowly but surely improving. The transparency and clarity of the French Gvt. website which details the tax system, for example, is wonderful IMHO. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dhyana-196567 - 13 years ago

seeeeeeeeeeee ..... the French System does work !!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Miss Varna - 13 years ago

No.6 wrote:

I've even known Post Offices refuse a photo driving licence as ID just to pick up registered post! But I'm guessing the counter clerk was having a bad hair day that time!

Just last week I went to the post office to pick up a parcel. As I parked my car in front of the post office 5 mins prior to their 2 hrs lunch break, I realized I had forgotten the "Avis du factureur" at home. I decided to try to get my parcel with just my ID - and inside the post office I discovered I had forgotten this one at home as well. I was only left with my driving licence with my maiden name, I did not have any document with my name (the one that the parcel was addressed to) nor my addy here in France. Guess what - the clerk must have had a good hair day, she did not care at all and handed me my parcel :-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

I used to carry my UK passport around as ID, until someone pinched it and I discovered what an almighty hassle it is to get it replaced.

Now I carry a driving licence, plus a photocopy of the passport. (except when I travel by air).  i've had to produce the photocopy a few times and it has always been accepted.  It seems certain procedures require the passport number and place of birth and so on.

For the prefecture, a UK driving licence is acceptable ID.

Tony

Sorry no image available

hence why I said 'works' and not works .....even though I can't understand myself the first sentence I wrote, the 'works' bit was meant in a sarcastic way hey !

Sorry no image available
Posted by Collie21 - 13 years ago

I don't believe it did some one say French Burercracy works,???? I can't even spell it. Collieanyone for a pint???

Sorry no image available

Oh my God do I agree with you N°6 'teeny weeny', but doesn't come close enough. 

I've lived in many countries all over the world (dispite being just 30), from Asia to America, to finally choose France ( EUROPE ), and I can not get over how burocracy 'works' over here. 

Surley this country must be contributing to the decline of the rain forest (for example) with the amount of paper used !

Sorry no image available
Posted by No.6 - 13 years ago

Hi SheilaT, I would agree with the above, there's no need for you to worry about a Carte de Séjour. 

Re: your comment about id and carrying your UK photo driving licence, however, I would just like to warn you that the French, unlike in the UK, do not always regard the driving licence as a valid form of ID.  In some situations, a driving licence (whether UK or French, photo or not) will not suffice here, e.g. with the Notaire when buying property, with banks when opening new accounts, with the CAF Office when applying for family allowance, etc, etc.  I've even known Post Offices refuse a photo driving licence as ID just to pick up registered post! But I'm guessing the counter clerk was having a bad hair day that time!

It's just a golden rule I've learned over the years here: the French are - how can I say? - just a teeny-weeny bit 'paperwork-obsessed', and it'll pay you to have the right bits of paper at the right time, believe me!

Sorry no image available
Posted by SheilaT-198237 - 13 years ago

Thanks to both of you for that information.  I am not working here so your advice is useful.  Re id I usually carry my UK photo driving licence, I guess that should suffice.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

If you are British (or EU) you dont need a Carte anymore (since last Nov).  There was some talk that maybe people who are working might still need one but that hasnt happened.

A lot of people still have a carte from the old days, and dont know that the law has changed

Your husband is still resident in the UK, so he should carrying paying UK taxes and so on as before.

Tony