DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Carte de Sejour 250 euro

Posted by amohanaei - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Crystal Balls-184435 - 14 years ago

Geezer

Not true - you have to pay all your tax upfront when you leave France, instead of the following september. - Which means low-paid staff actually have to save up to leave!

CB

Sorry no image available
Posted by the_geezer - 14 years ago

And of course it's still free to LEAVE the country.

(That was not aimed at you MikeP.)

The Geezer

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

In fairness,  I have to add that in my limited dealings with Prefectures (mainly the one in Grasse),  I have found them to be courteous and efficient at worst,  and at best,  friendly and helpful.   

Sorry no image available
Posted by Admin-179828 - 14 years ago

We've been waiting to get confirmation from the Préfecture. Here's the score:

The fee for a first CdS application is €220 not €250, but it only applies to non-EU citizens who are not close family members of EU citizens. Such people also need to pass a medical.

EU citizens (and their spouses and children) still get the Carte de Séjour for free.

(as an aside: the application fee for a Residency Permit in South Africa is R11,010 or abour €1,250 - representing a more than year's income for many of the people who want to live there; France looks relatively inexpensive by comparison...)

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

Strange. In all my dealings with the Préfecture in Nice I have found the people there to be unfailingly helpful. A little gruff at times, but I would be if I had their jobs, I think... Overall, however, it's been a "no problem" experience.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cario - 14 years ago

I do not find that explination hard to believe at all. Also, it is a bit naive to believe a letter like that would help in a country like this.

The Prefecture is simply a place where all the employees are extremely rude. I think it is the headoffice where they manage the 'be rude - stay rude'-policy.

I have been living in The South of France for 3 years and I am starting to consider to go back where I came from. Simply because of the attitude here. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Even given the well documented and obvious dislike (jealousy?) that the locals display towards the 'etrangers' I find this attitude and statement a little hard to believe.

In the event that such a statement was made,  I would suggest a written complaint to the Prefect or whatever title the Head of a Prefecture carries, and a copy to the British Consulate and the French Foreign Ministry. 

Possibly also the person who made the comment should be made aware of how much more pathetic the economy of France would be if it were not for the presence of the 'etrangers' who work,  make things work, and contribute to the economy.