DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

carte de sejour decision

Posted by calcalino - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

1 reply

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 15 years ago

I can't find any reference in any French news or government publications that this is even being discussed, never mind that any decision has been made.

Anyway...

Whatever happens, I expect it'll end up like the driving licence story, where EU law says you don't have to change your licence but you do really - in most cases I know of.

Why?

Well, although any valid EU licence can be used in France, a UK licence holder (for example) is obliged to inform the DVLA of any change of address. Failure to do this carries a fine of up to £1,000.

But the DVLA will only accept UK addresses. Send in your UK licence with an overseas address and you don't get your licence back: you get a document saying you are entitled to a licence, which you can then use to get a French one.

So, if you're from the UK, in order to live in France and drive you need to get a French one licence or run the risk of paying £1,000.

(As an aside, I wonder if a driving licence carrying a "false address" is actually, technically, legally valid. If not, then your insurance would automatically be invalidated, and you'd be in breach of goodness knows how many laws every time you got in a car...)

I'm less clued in with the reationships other EU countries have with their drivers, but I expect it is just as tortuous in many cases...

Mike