DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Carte Se Jour

Posted by Woodrow-191365 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

If, as a non-EU citizen, he wishes to stay longer than three months he must have either a titre de séjour or a long-stay visa. Going to Switzerland will not be a problem (for the French authorities, anyway) as long as he doesn't go for, say five years.

Details at http://riviera.angloinfo.com/information/1/cds.asp

(sorry for not e-mailing you at that address - I'm working on a computer that doesn't have an e-mail client program on it)

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by Annelise-191985 - 14 years ago

Hi,

Can anyone help me in terms of a non-EU citizen whom is not working but staying with me (French citizen)... does he need to get a carte de sejour?  He is planning on being here longer then 3 months and is planning on going to switzerland and then re-entering France, can anyone shed some light on any implications of the above?  Please email me at:

annelise@conceptual.net.au

I would love to hear from you.  Thanks.

Sorry no image available
Posted by zoe-180327 - 14 years ago

I was told yesterday that you definitely need one to get a work permit for Monaco. Zoe (Nice)

Sorry no image available

Préfectures (generally speaking) don't like issuing titres de séjour to EU citizens and would rather spend their budgets elsewhere. Consequently, they are doing everything they can to avoid issuing them.

However, there are other branches of the French administration who are still insisting on EU citizens having their residency permit - we know of numerous examples where people have tried to sset up businesses since the legislation was changed only to be told "No go without the titre de séjour".

To clarify: you dodn't need a titre de séjour to live in France, but you may need one to do certain things (such as start/run a business or even have a job) once you are living here. Quite what those things will be has yet to be explained - the decree from the Conseil d'État should do that - so the various branches of local, regional and national Governement are, in the interim, each interpreting the legislation in the way that best suits them.

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by reinrev5 - 14 years ago

Mike can only be right. If the French require ID linked to a S/S No.from their own Nationals who live and work here we can't very well expect to do "better" than them.

Reinrev

Sorry no image available
Posted by hovis-190528 - 14 years ago

I was in the Prefecture last week to re-new my 10 year "Carte de Sejour", and woman behind the desk, who was for once very helpful assured me that I do not need a "Carte de Sejour" anymore and actually gave me a piece of paper to confirm this.

Sorry no image available

quote:EU citizens no longer need a carte de sejour

That's not quite right. EU citizens no longer need a titre de séjour except under certain circumstances, and we're still waiting for the decree from the Conseil d'État to clarify what those are.

You will almost certainly need one if you want to start or run a business, and it seems highly likely that you will need one if oyu want to have a job for longer than three months (immigration legislation may say that you don't need a titre de séjour, but employment legislation says you do...).

So, the smart money seems to be on the likelyhood that only non actifs will be exempt.

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mighty Cat - 14 years ago

EU citizens no longer need a carte de sejour. The French are being very quiet about it though!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Richard06 - 14 years ago

hi there, one thing i do know about is carte de séjour! I've been here for many years and it's simple really but they do take the mick at the prefecture. You need a carte de séjour to work legally in france.

You also need a birth certificate, your passeport, a france telecom or edf bill under your name for proof of residence, and maybe aswell your work contract!

I have a ten year one and they will probably give you a six month or one year one only!

Need anymore info contact me via e-mail.

Richard

everything is cool!