DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Cartes de Sejour

Posted by emtbrf - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

I have heard that the Carte has been abolished. Does anyone know what is replacing it?emtbrf@hotmail.com

Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Maizewell - 14 years ago

Interesting. As I am actually working for a UK company (as a contractor on a 6-month contract) and that company bills another UK company for my services, I wonder where that leaves me. As far as I can see, the only economic activity I'm indulging in is bringing money into France to pay for my accomodation and associated costs (electricity, phone bills, that sort of stuff). I shall await further clarification with some interest.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

It'll all become clear when the decree from the Conseil d'État is published, I hope...**************
Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by Black Cat-192495 - 14 years ago

The "condition" for still needing a card is whether or not you "excercise an economic activity" in France.What that means isn't yest clear except that a lawyer friend told me yesterday that anyone running a business in France or regularly doing business in France would be excercising an "economic activity". He wasn't sure whether working in a salaried job in France is an "economic activity" though.Obviously students and retired people will no longer need a carte de sejour, that seems sure.

Sorry no image available

Your employer is being a little previous. The new legislation specifies that you will still need a Carte de Séjour under certain circumstances, although it doesn't say what those are (we await a decree with that information). It is entirely possible that one of those circumstances will be "working", restricting the no-Carte situation only to non actifs.**************
Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by Maizewell - 14 years ago

I was going to ask if anyone else had heard this. I work for one of the big companies in Sophia and arrived just after Xmas 2003 (about 4 weeks ago). They have a legal representative who deals with getting cartes de sejour for newcomers to France and initially sent me a list of the paperwork they needed, along with a form to fill in. Two weeks ago they told me to forget about it as EU citizens no longer need a carte de sejour.

I haven't been able to find out any more than that.

Sorry no image available

Electricity bill

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tigger-191229 - 14 years ago

What is a facture EDF?

Sorry no image available

Actually, we are still awaiting the official word. We'll publish the information at http://riviera.angloinfo.com/information/1/cds.asp when we get it.

However, you do have to carry photo ID with you at all times when out and about in France (such as a passport, in the absence of a Carte de Séjour) even if you're just here for the day.

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

You have to carry your European passport and a facture EDF with you at all times.Tony