DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Changes to Sky footprint

Posted by Warwick and Jo-781227 - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by damiangeorge - 5 years ago

From what I have been told by the AV guys that deal with my yacht, the satelite is being replaced and phased in with a new one, in the meantime, two satelites will cover the area previously covered by one.

Many European TV chanels work of the Astra sat, not only Sky, so there is little chance there will not be coverage.

The company advertising this is not being completley honest in what they state, they are not lying, but they are perhaps not telling the entire truth.

I would definitley recommend getting a second opinion before you make any costly upgrades

Sorry no image available
Posted by E & E - 5 years ago

Can someone reccomend a reliable TV dish erector in the Nice area

E & E

Sorry no image available
Posted by T&G-385840 - 5 years ago

The important thing as well as having the correct size dish is that the LNB should be aligned properly. Most French satellite installers do not understand this as it is not a requirement on a French TV system. Basically, the cable needs to leave the LNB at about the 7 o'clock position. Many people who have lost channel 5 have got it by doing this simple adjustment.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Romantica-196641 - 5 years ago

As has already been noted, it doesn't seem clear quite what is going to happen...as the changes occur, there'll no doubt be a raft of techies out there coming up with ( potential) solutions, so it's probably better to wait, as hard as that might seem.

Quite a useful discussion and linked map here: http://www.astra2d.com/astra2.html

Sorry no image available
Posted by cizealin - 5 years ago

Well, I guess my answer was don't spend money on a bigger dish until we know what is going to happen! I felt the pain of 360€ for no result so far, so I would like the rest of the expat community here to be aware that the company advertising the solution to your problems has no idea what they are doing!  Although they were very honest and offered me a refund. So a nice company so big respect to them..

Sorry no image available
Posted by Warwick and Jo-781227 - 5 years ago

The current footprint will no longer be available from late 2013 or 2014 as they are transferring to Astra 2F and the beam is going to be narrower and aligned more to GB.  Probably you won't get a signal south of the Charente!

Sorry no image available
Posted by feadship - 5 years ago

This might help.

http://www.nsateurope.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=69

Sorry no image available
Posted by feadship - 5 years ago

In my view min 1.2m dish, I recon there could be a lot of unhappy yacht owners this summer that being the case, as most have 80cm max.

Sorry no image available
Posted by cizealin - 5 years ago

Yes, we have recently had a 1m dish installed as a replacement to an 80cm dish at the cost of 360€ here in the South of France, this has made no difference to the signal of Channel 5 (the test channel) so a bigger dish may not be the answer.

The company advertises this as a solution to this problem.

The company involved did offer a refund, which was very fair, but we decided to leave it it place and see how it is in June!