DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Cheap flights to Barcelona from Nice?

Posted by lob-189383 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by gaella - 14 years ago

If doing Nice-BCN on a regular basis, I am considering buying a cheapo car and driving. In the long run, it will save money and the advantage is room to carry stuff...

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

I forgot about the train which Gaella mentioned .... I have done it a couple of times.  Definitely the night train is to be avoided as Gaella says.

There is a day train too with a change in Montpellier,  when I did it, it left at about 09h30 and with the change, arrived in Barcelona at about 8 pm - rather long.

There is a bus service too which runs at some ungodly hour, but a friend of ours came up on it once and said it wasn't too bad. Personally there is no way I could do a journey of that length on a bus, specially if they allow smoking, but it may well be the cheapest option of all.

Sorry no image available
Posted by gaella - 14 years ago

This is my 3rd time Nice-BCN since Nov 03, so I have looked at this closely.

My first run was LUCKY. On Easyjet, I got Nice-Lutton for something like 22 Euros. Then Lutton-BCN for 70 Euros. Same on the way back (was winter) so the total was around 190 Euros. The lay-over in Lutton was barely 60-90 minutes, so not too bad.

Then I tried the night train and I really recommend to avoid it! Terrible switch of trains at the border in the middle of the night and lots of shady characters going on and off board! Takes too long anyway.

Easyjet has a new run Berlin-BCN for 43 Euros, starting soon this month or in July. It will be interesting to check what Nice-Berlin costs.

I checked the Nice-Geneva + Geneva-BCN run... but the lay-over in Geneva is something like half a day and the savings are around 50-70 Euros (once all the taxes are added) compared to the direct flight Nice-BCN by Iberia, so it may not be worth the trouble time-wise.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

We have been travelling regularly and frequently between Nice and Barcelona for some years.

In the good old days before the AF/IB duopoly took over,  there were 6 flights a day and promotional fares sometimes went as low as EUR 88.  We are now, since the demise of Air Littoral,  down to two a day and a lowest fare of 193 (AF) or 252 (IB) + taxes.

It seems that one of the better options to save money if you wish to fly is to go on EasyJet via Geneva.  Depending on the dates you could save a fair amount although on the dates I checked at random the saving was negligible due to the high fares between Geneva and Barcelona.  Bear in mind that if you book NCE - GVA - BCN - GVA - NCE,  it is considered as 4 separate and unrelated flights,  therefore if you miss your connection in Geneva they take no responsibility (and you have to collect and handle your baggage yourself at the connection point).

The drive is about 6.5 hours, it's 640 km door to door for us.  It is motorway almost the whole way, with just one non-motorway bit near Arles, which however is good dual carriageway.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

Its about 6 hours, Sarkozy approved, if there are no traffic problems.  See my post earlier in the thread.Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by srwauters - 14 years ago

Okay, so it looks like there are no cheap flights between Nice and Barcelona. What is the drive like? 8 hours, 10 hours? Sarah Wauters

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pumuckel - 14 years ago

Try Alitalia via Milan - they are usually cheaper than flying Nice-Barcelona direct (Air France/Iberia).

Pumuckel

Sorry no image available
Posted by telim - 14 years ago

Thanks Tony

Might give it a go!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

The Genoa-Barcelona ferry leaves from Genoa, which is Gênes in French.  It is just across the border in Italy.

http://www.viamare.fr/DE_IT_BarceloneGNV.htm.

Although it seems to take a long time, you arrive at about the same time as you would if you drove and traffic was light.  If you drive you would stay an extra night and leave the next day

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by telim - 14 years ago

Hi TonyP

Where does the ferry going to Barcelona leave from?

Thanks