DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Cheapest parcel rates

Posted by szozu - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

Thanks Mike for the idea about SNCF, however, I went to their site and then was directed to Sernam, whose definition of "Europe" stops at the eastern border of Germany. I then sent an e-mail to an organization in Paris called l'Amicale France-CEI to see if they know of any cheaper means of transport. They collect charitable donations of clothes and also suggest sending them individually to people in the CEI states.

I am going to Paris in January, but I don't fancy making my way to Nice in public transport with a huge bag of clothing to later give away. I was thinking of contacting the Russian churches in Cannes and/or Nice to see if they collect clothing, though I'd rather give it to the people I know personally. In New York there are companies who send parcels and who'll even take a photograph of the joyful adressees receiving their loot, since normally many things sent via normal mail are pilfered once they enter the aforementioned countries.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

As a point of reference,  I sent a 9kgs parcel to Switzerland a few weeks ago and it cost 52 Euros - that was the cheapest (and only) rate available at La Poste.

SNCF should be cheaper but there is almost certainly a minimum size and no doubt sending to Ukkraine/Russia would be fraught with difficulties.  Why don't you contact a humanitarian organisation such as the Red Cross,  who might well be able to help.