DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Childbirth help wanted

Posted by BellaBella-190907 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Admin-179828 - 15 years ago

Usual rules: if making medical reccommendations you must do so by provate e-mail, not by posting publicly to the Forum.

-----
Forums Administrator
forums@angloinfo.com

Sorry no image available
Posted by vanessa_turco - 15 years ago

vanessa_turco@yahoo.com

I've just moved to the region with my husband and it seems we might be pregnant....!  I wondered if anyone can recomend an English speaking doctor/OBGYN in the Monaco/Cap D'Ail area.

Vanessa

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 15 years ago

quote:I don't know where you got the information from

My one experience as a customer of France's birthing professionals was exactly as BellaBella describes: compulsory dry-shave, episiotomy, stirrups, ill-temper, mother-as-sick-person (or even guilty person) - the works.

The ante-natal care was big on videos of people giving birth in dimly-lit paddling-pools with whalesong in the background and so forth, which made the actual delivery something of a shock, in that it resembled something from a Terry Gilliam movie (and I don't mean that in a good way). The fact that the on-call anaesthetist didn't respond to his pager - and thus no epidural for the semi-hysterical ,wanted-a-natural-birth, mother to be - didn't help one iota.

That was in 1991. It seems things have changed. Good.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Froggy12 - 15 years ago

Hi BellaBella,I don't know where you got the information from regarding having a baby in France, but I just wanted to reassure you. I had my baby in March, and everything went wonderfully well. The staff was really efficient and always there to help and answer our queries. I can also recommend my doctor if you would like, he is very, very good. He is based in Antibes, don't know if this can help, and speaks quite good English.bye for now!Froggy12

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nikki-180635 - 15 years ago

All three of my children were born in France (1998, 2000 and 2003) - the first with epidural, monitoring, episio etc, the second was a cesaerean so obviously medicalised, but the third was a natural birth.  Due to the previous cesaerean I had to have a certain surveillance, but was still allowed to move around (the monitor had very long wires!).

I think you just have to talk to the midwife (or your gyny) beforehand to make sure they understand what you want and they generally accommodate.  I have a friend who had her baby squatting on the floor in hospital in Nimes - she was determined to do it 100% naturally, and as it was a relatively easy birth, they let her.

I'm not sure that there are any birth centres in France, but home births are possible with a sage femme liberale.  Why don't you go to the maternités in your area to talk to them about it? 

With determination and good research beforehand I am sure you will be able to have the birth you want.  Good luck!

Sorry no image available
Posted by nicandsi-188743 - 15 years ago

Melody,

I had both of my children in Grasse. They are really good. My consultant was Dr vignel. Very nice and speaks very good english, was great for me as I spoke very little at the time.

When my son was born my sage femme was a guy so I've been told not many of them around. He was very up to date and even though I was on a drip which I needed to be on  he let me move about I felt it was better that time than 16 months pre this when I had my first child.1997 my first and 1999 my sceond. Things had improved in that short time so all this time later I have heard things are really even much better.

You'll be fine there its really nice place.

Good luck

Sorry no image available
Posted by melody-189421 - 15 years ago

Dukeboy:

which clinique did you and your wife attend?

I am planning to have my baby at the Hopital Clavary in Grasse (in February) - I hear it is very good... Anyone been there for the birth of their child?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dukeboy - 15 years ago

Hi, just to let you know from our experience(my wife and I), about the birth of our daughter in France. I being(the male) must say that I was very impressed with the way the whole pregnancy was run. None of what you described in your post. Perhaps my wife just happened to be lucky, but from what I understand she had a fairly regular(by French standards) birth. We went into the Clinique about 10hrs before the birth, and I think all panned out fairly regularly. There was no extended period "on the drip", no "over" monitoring. The midwifes were extremely helpful, and very thoughrough, making sure all was well!

I hope that I have allayed some of your fears, we had a wonderful experience(even though my part was minor), and wouldn't hesitate in recommending you to have your child in France. Hope this helps a bit!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Twizzel-185350 - 15 years ago

True what you have said tends to be the norm but is NOT the only way you are fully within your rights to present your birthing plan saying you want to move around, you don't want an episiotomy and lots more. This has just been told to me by my french midwife.

Sorry no image available
Posted by wendy-179831 - 15 years ago

Hi, have you spoken to Accoucher Librement? They'll be able to advise you on home & natural birth locally (English Dutch & French spoken) Tel: 04 94 59 56 17. They're affiliated to the Fédération Nationale de Parents "Naissance et Liberté".

More details and link toward the bottom of this page: http://riviera.angloinfo.com/information/1/birth.asp