DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Christmas dinner, a real English one needed

Posted by peter57-190654 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by peter57-190654 - 13 years ago

Jan

Can I come to yours for dinner, my girlfriend can stay here and have a curry...

Thanks for advice I think between us we will cope, although she cooks a pretty mean snail

Sorry no image available
Posted by TerryT-188383 - 13 years ago

What exactly is bread sauce?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jan-181414 - 13 years ago

Peter

With good planning there is nothing to it.

Buy the christmas pudding (Brittain's Home Stores, Valbonne) you can also buy brandy butter, brandy sauce and if you prefer custard, buy a tin.
The pudding can be warmed in the microwave after dinner. Simple.

Buy a small fresh turkey from your local butcher or a turkey crown or breast roll, again from Brittains. You can also buy Aunt Bessies roast potatoes, and parsnips,  ready made cranberry stuffing(mircowaveable) or stuffing balls. Sprouts with chestnuts(frozen) and a packet of bread sauce mix. Gravy, use bisto granules, made with the juices from the turkey and the sprout water.  The carrots you will have to buy fresh.

Cook the turkey(time depends on size) or the crown or breast roll according to instructions. An hour before the end put potatoes and parnips into the oven, make up the bread sauce mix, pour into a jug(warm in the mircowave, just before serving) Half an hour before, put carrots on to cook and put on the water for the sprouts, 15 minutes before add sprouts to water. Place stuffing in the mircowave. Make gravy, warm sauce. Sit down to eat. So simple.

Finish off with stilton and port.

Mince pies and coffee.

All the above items are available at Brittain's home stores, Valbonne.

Jan

'anything for an easy life'

Sorry no image available

Yes but I have a girlfriend, from Sri Lanka who has lived in France for 27 years, who couldn't cope with doing turkey, potatoes, sprouts peas gravy, stuffing ,carrots, bread sauce, Xmas pud ,custard, all at the same time, and I don't want to add to her problem by getting in the way, now if I ask her to make curry, or lasagne then she is in a world of her own..but on christmas day...     no thanks, and the answer to the question, yes we had thought about doing it our selves but it would be like Bill and Ben, and I know we would end up arguing...

Sorry no image available
Posted by cjunger - 13 years ago

Have you thought about cooking something yourself? Or don't you have access to a kitchen?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Spidey-189686 - 13 years ago

Les Arbousiers? I`m not sure if they are doing Xmas dinners or not but could be worth a try aswell as O`sullivans in La Napoule.

Sorry no image available

Thanks Urm and Mike, I am really looking for a down to earth resteraunt, and to Danomines, if I could have enough time off from the airport, I would have gone to my family, but thanks for the suggestion...rather than eating a snail It looks like beans on toast, followed by a yoghurt, and glass of coke..............followed by French TV, thank God for my job

Pete

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 13 years ago

Closer to home, try the Relais des Coches. Details here:

http://riviera.angloinfo.com/af/5/**************
Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by danonimes-184717 - 13 years ago

The Savoy Court Hotel, in Eastbourne. They are offering a four day package including accommodation.You get Christmas Dinner followed by Bingo in the bar.I was there in September. The atmoshpere was excellent, and the place looks much better since they painted the outside. The UPVC windows also make a difference to the noise levels.Can't guarantee you a sea view, but you will get one of the best welcomes in Eastbourne.Fly into Gatwick and you can be there in less than four hours (from Nice/Marseilles).Make sure you pull a cracker for me.Jhttp://www.savoycourthotel.co.uk/special.html