DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Clean install - XP Home Edition

Posted by DJHouseyHousey - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tony Miller - 14 years ago

Hi

Go to this well respected web site and it will help you to reinstall your system, http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,111652,00.asp, as your question above recovery disc you will have to visit the Carrafour sote and get a naother recovery disc set with correct number if the recovery discs are a full set which includes the OS on them, not all no brand name players do, as you may find that your recovery OS is in another parition on your hardrive, ie in the multi national players, some provide the discs like Dell and IBM and HP/Compaq put the restore on harddrive and you have to request the recovery disc set from them.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Tony Miller

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 14 years ago

glad it worked - always happy to help :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by DJHouseyHousey - 14 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I have justed tested the exe and used it to re-install and it worked even with a pre-insatlled copy of win xp.

Thank you so much. I owe u a beer.

Cheers

HH

Sorry no image available
Posted by delboy_trading - 14 years ago

I agree good link, thanks it will make life a little easier now!

D.B.T

Sorry no image available
Posted by SirLurkalot - 14 years ago

Great link, davidl.  A very very useful page.  You'll be rewarded in heaven for that one.....

Sorry no image available

If its just the product key that you need go to http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm#View%20Product%20Key%20XP and scroll down to "view xp key". This will show you your product key on that computer (I scanned it for viruses with AVG and latest virus definitions - it should be ok but would suggest that you save it to disk and scan it as well just in case).

If that is all you need you should be ok - though I can't see why any xp recovery disk should have a key as it should be preactivated for that specific machine only.

Sorry no image available
Posted by DJHouseyHousey - 14 years ago

Hi,

I called Carrefour days after getting the PC but they weren't very helpful so I binned the idea. I will try again as their service may have improved.

Another thread got me thinking hence the change around.

Thanks

HH

Sorry no image available

To be honest the best bet is to go / phone carrefour and ask them for the correct code. The recovery discs should put your pc back to the way it was from the shop incl. any extra programmes etc.

One question - why a clean install after just one year?