DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Cold Calling

Posted by John22-278533 - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by soundsalike - 6 years ago

This is a real pain, I seldom ever answer my phone these days, only my portable. If it was not for the internet I would chop the line.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Methuselah-217505 - 6 years ago

I note there is a posting elsewhere from a user in France who has his ID hidden and wants to occasionally show his number - I would not want someone like that calling me

That is my posting and I understand your concern, but I work with people globally and particularly in UK and do not necessarily want them to know where I am, I also do not want them to have my number by default as it is also my home number and I do not want out of hours calls. Ironically I find that the people who are the most paranoid about not answering no CLID calls are my friends in France. Go figure!

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChB-184121 - 6 years ago

Stop secret doesn't actually block the calls, it gives the caller the oportunity to state their name before your phone rings, so most cold callers will not bother and the phone doesn't ring. If it is a legitimate call from a caller who's ID is blocked they can just give their name, the call will then ring through and you hear their voice where you can decide to accept the call or not. A relative in the UK used to get through directly when with BT, but once they moved onto Talk Talk their ID was not transmitted so they had to go through the process as described. But it works well, no more annoying callers. I note there is a posting elsewhere from a user in France who has his ID hidden and wants to occasionally show his number - I would not want someone like that calling me and this sytem stops it immediately. I found the "Liste Rouge" did not stop the calls, or not quickly enough, so I went to Stop Secret.

Sorry no image available

I looked at the trueCall and other options as I need something similar for use elsewhere. My concern was what would it do if it didn't recognise the number, but that is answered in the 'questions' part and there are options for handing that. Although it's expensive (just under £100) it does look like a far better option than anything else I've seen.

I was also concerned whether it would work on non-UK networks. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't, but I do see that in their terms of business they state - "We normally only sell Our Goods to consumers located in the UK", so that might be worth looking into.

Friends of mine in UK have one and are very happy with it. Their 'phone would sometimes ring 10 times during the early evening with nuisance calls. They have now reduced this to zero.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Polly Ester - 6 years ago

http://www.truecall.co.uk/
I am looking into getting one of these devices from the UK.
I do not want to be put on 'Red' in case of an emergency, and the Anti Prospect option does not seem to work, according to others who are on it.

trueCall is the complete solution to all types of nuisance phone call - telemarketing, silent calls, calls from overseas call centres, fax calls, robocalls, market researchers, malicious calls, misdials, wrong numbers and recorded message calls.

trueCall is about the size of a paperback book. It plugs into your phone line at home and checks every call you receive before letting your phone ring.

Patented technology, designed and developed in the UK!

Sorry no image available
Posted by John22-278533 - 6 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I have added up to the Liste Rouge on the Orange website - will let you know how it goes! All assistance much appreciated!

Sorry no image available

Subscribe to the Orange option "STOP SECRET".

The only problem is that it will block calls from anyone whose caller ID is not shown, and also from certain countries which don't seem to transmit the CLID at all, or in the correct format. It might therefore end up blocking legitimate callers.

Sorry no image available
Posted by WizardofOz-226715 - 6 years ago

Can you ask for "liste Rouge" if you are with SFR or is it just a France Telecom option? (or how do you go about getting made 'liste rouge' please? - I too am driven demented by cold callers lately!)

Sorry no image available
Posted by courtenay-203998 - 6 years ago

Subscribe to the Orange option "STOP SECRET". It costs 1 euro per month (first month free) and is virtually 100 per cent effective.

You can find out about it through all the usual Orange information outlets.

Sorry no image available

Liste Rouge. I don't think I get one call a year, except from companies whose products/services I already use, trying to upsell.

I find that telling them that if they want to speak to me, they must do so in my language is pretty effective in stopping future calls.