DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Commuting Newcastle/Nice on weekly basis - advice?

Posted by spanik-186012 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

hello,

currently living (with wife who is not working) and working in Newcastle but after 2 years I am slowly missing the south of France (particulary at this time of the year where everyone in Nice has been BBQing since April and mine is still in the garage).

Was thinking of moving back to Nice and commute Monday mornings + Friday Evenings, staying in a cheap rented room in Newcaslte during the week and coming back to my wife in Nice at the weekend. Price of commute and additional rented accomodation is not a major problem, I would rather have a better life at weekends ; anyone doing a similar stuff ? how are you coping ? have got the option to only work 4 days/week; would you recommend staying 3 days in Nice / 4 days in Newcastle ?

Any help appreciated,

Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by spanik-186012 - 13 years ago

I work in IT but unfortunatly not a part of IT that can be done remotely ; so I have to be on site.I am not concerned about earling morning wake up, flights,... (I used to work in Asia quite a lot myself before I met my wife and was flying back and forward every 2 weeks) but more concerned about coping with being away from each other.Regarding the keeping in touch, I agree, I currently have VPN between work and home, and I use Instant Messaging, Voice and/or Video conferencing (MSN Messenger) with her on a daily basis (eventhough we see each others every day); I would have the same setup if we lived in Nice so keeping in touch should be easy.I was thinking that her going to school and meeting new people, making friends in Nice, in the sun (with the sea nearby) wouldn't be that bad ; probably better than staying at home in Newcastle, inside, in the rainny north east.Then after a year or so, we would both be permanently in the sun ;)some thinking do do ; thanks for help all

Sorry no image available
Posted by Φ - 13 years ago

For the commuter it is usually easier to just do the commute at the weekend than the two hour daily commute between work and family that many people do.φ

Sorry no image available
Posted by Miss Varna - 13 years ago

My husband and I are doing this for more than 4 yrs now and will be doing this some more yrs, it's in the nature of his job. When he was sent to Asia for several months (3 months Manila, 9 months Seoul) I went with him; but when he is on a project in Europe, I can choose to either go with him and we both stay there weekdays and weekends, or I stay here and he comes home on weekends. It really depends on where he needs to go to and for how long. He was in Paris the past 6 months and I decided to stay here (just visited occasionally), I prefered staying home in my house with garden in my tiny little village, rather than be living in some small place somewhere in the big city.

Sorry no image available
Posted by me_again - 13 years ago

It can work for a maybe max 48 months...afterwards you will wonder why you spend your life on a plane...Get over it...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Φ - 13 years ago

I've done something similar several times in the past, working in another country during the week and coming home weekends.

It is much better to let the family stay where they prefer to live than to drag them to another country.

These days, with the Internet, VPNs and cheap phone calls, it is possible to do a lot of work at home.  If you leave a jacket on your chair and redirect your office phone to Nice, no one will know you are not in the office!

It depends on what you do of course, but it might be possible to arrange at least a few extra days per month working at home, ie in the sun.

φ

Sorry no image available
Posted by spanik-186012 - 13 years ago

Thanks Miss Varna and Shanwick for very valid comments.My wife does not speak french but is very keen in learning it and I have inquired at the University of Lettres about full time courses; she is quite keen on that. She knows a couple of my friends who live in St Laurent du Var, but I am sure she would be able to meet people quickly at school ?Courses are from September to Jan then from Feb to June/July; that way she would have her mind occupied during the week. She also loves France in every aspect so that should help.I did check the Easyjet flight times (Summer and Winter periods), and basically for a 4 day a week in the UK it is do-able and times are not that bad either; prices are expensive indeed until beginning of September but I can live with that.One of my colleagues mentionned too the fact of staying in the UK and going to Nice a few times a month on holiday; I am going to consider that view too ;)Can I ask you Miss Varna, how long you have been in this situation ? I cannot see myself doing it for more than a year; I am on a contract that should end towards April 06 ; so it would (should) be a temporary situation; I would then look for a job in and around Nice.Many thanks again to you both for your comments.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Shanwick - 13 years ago

You also need to be aware that EasyJet does not operate a daily service to Newcastle between October and April which will make the commute that bit more difficult.If you'd like to rent a place in the Tyne Valley (Riding Mill) let me know.Way Eye Man!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Miss Varna - 13 years ago

Hmm, not exactly the same situation but my hubby is always somewhere else during the week (Paris, London, whereever) while I am here (not working either). We are coping okay, but there are of course disadvantages:

having dinner separatelysleeping separatelyon Sunday evening he has to pack and go to bed early cuz the cab picks him up @6.30am on Monday morningeverything that needs to be done (DYI-work in the house, major shopping, whatever) can only be done on weekends - thus less spare time to enjoy.

My husband usually comes home on Thursday evenings but still, there is too little time and too much to do.

What does your wife think? How would she cope living in Nice alone? Does she speak French, does she have any friends here?

You should also consider the connection that you have on Monday mornings and Friday evenings - are the departure and arrival time okay? Bear in mind that tickets are often expensive at those times.

Why not stay in Newcastle and spend 1-2 weekends per month in Nice?