DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Computer crash problem ... help !!!!

Posted by MikeP-180526 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by linzi-mermaid - 13 years ago

try installing service pack 2 for xp. downloadable from microsoft.com website. fixes lots of stuff.The Best labour saving device ever invented is tommorow

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

The link to the MSN page which the error report returns is this one :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=322205

There is an error number similar to what Nadil said, with several zeros,  but it is impossible to read it,  as the BSD is really only displayed for a second before the damn thing goes off.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

I have an Epson printer, and if I remember right, the USB cable is not included.

If the problem goes away when the printer is not plugged in then it is probably the cable.  Maybe it is not shielded and is picking up noise from something.

I use a cheap cable with my Epson, but I only plug it in when I want to print something, otherwise the printer bangs on the furniture when I walk around the house with the laptop.

Most places where I work have wifi network printers, so I am thinking of getting a Belkin USB WiFi print server for the Epson.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nadil - 13 years ago

I know it's sounds like a pain in the a** suggestion - but note down the first two/three lines of error - I can't remember exactly what it looks like but you should have a string with several zeros, a seven (I think), and an "x" and possibly an "E". Anyways, these codes are actually a diagnosis of the problem, then type this in and search in Google. It will probably lead you to a Microsoft page within the first few results, with a description of this problem, the cause, and possibly the solution - with Microsoft you never know!!! If you're not sure what to note down, post the first three lines back in this forum and I'll tell you what to look for.

Sorry no image available

I also had a similar problem with a scanner which was due to a flakey USB cable.  I was using a cable I had lying around, and when I used the screened cable supplied with the scanner the problem went away.

Maybe the printer cable is a bit loose.

Tony

Sorry no image available

Hi Alex

I've already tried reinstalling the software both from the CD supplied and from the Epson website. But thanks for the suggestion.  I also only loaded the basic functionality,  not all the fancy photo printing stuff which was optional.

I couldn't face having to take the printer back and trying to argue this in my bad French with an ignorant shop assistant. they will say I've used the printer, which is true, and that it works, which is also true. Unfortunately, in this case, I broke my golden rule of never buying anything in France.

Sorry no image available
Posted by alexhampshire-186967 - 13 years ago

Mike

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the printer software. If that doesn't work use system restore and take the printer back.

Good luck.

Alex

Sorry no image available

Hi Tony

No, I get the BSD and it stops (crashes) then restarts.  It then comes up with MS error reporting and gives me a page telling me that a device driver has caused the problem. It implies that the device driver is incompatible.  If I'd bought a pirate copy of XP in China and an unknown make of printer in Honduras I can understand this, but my XP is legit and the printer is brand new.

It happens even if the printer is switched off.  I haven't tried physically disconnecting it.  And it also happens regardless of whether or not I am connected to the Internet.  Printing something does not cause a crash either, and the printer works normally.

Sorry no image available

Since it is a laptop, I guess the printer is not connected all the time.  Do the crashes happen when the printer is not connected?

Does it actually crash? or do you get the BSD (Blue Screen of Death) and then it carries on.

I have a similar problem with BSDs and hangups on my Dell laptop which is caused by the removeable DVD drive coming loose.  If I click the drive back in place the problem goes away.

Maybe the problem is connected to using the CD/DVD drive to install the Epson driver.

Tony