DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Computer help..loss of sound

Posted by shirl-196337 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by bjk-205192 - 12 years ago

Did anyone manage to discover what the problem was? I've got the very same problem, everything plugged in ok, volume not muted, device drivers working.......... strange!

Any ideas?

Sorry no image available
Posted by ian81-188951 - 14 years ago

If none of the above work could it be that a basic device driver has not been installed. Go to device manager via control panel system option.In the list there are there any yellow exclamation marks or red crosses. If so these point to a problem with the device drivers

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

OK - I'll take up from where reinrev and MikeP have left you.  Assuming you've followed all of their advice, you may be in the position where 1 of the following 2 conditions exist;

You have no sound at all.  i.e. simple tests (see below) do not produce any soundSimple tests produce sound but there is no sound from some special media such as DVD's and downloaded MPG's, WMV's etc.

To prove Step #1, there is nothing simpler and more reliable than the advice given by reinrev - paly one of those system event sounds.  If you hear nothing, re-verify all the the previous advice.  If you hear the sound, then move on to to next step.

Next Step: If you have established basic PC sound as above but still hear no audio from your media, then it is a problem of a missing Codec.  This would not surprise me at all, given you have recently had your PC somewhat "rebuilt" - it would be so easy for previously installed codecs to have been destroyed.  Missing codecs can be replaced but you are getting into seriously tricky technical areas.  See this article for an idea of what to do OR if you are able to- just try re-installing the media software that you were previously using.  E-mail if you need more specific help.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

There are several places from where the volume can be controlled or muted.  For example, on my set up,  that I know of (and there could be more) there is a control on the speakers, a volume control and a mute key on the keyboard, a rotary control on the side of the computer, and the actual windows sound control panel which you can access by clicking on the loudspeaker logo usully at the bottom right of your screen.

You need to check that none of them is muted.

Sorry no image available
Posted by reinrev5 - 14 years ago

Shirley,

Supposing that your speaker/s are plugged into the sound card output socket (generally green coloured) that they are also plugged into mains power, switched on and that any other leads/sockets are plugged together. The most obvious and first thing to try is to go to >> Start/ControlPanel/Sound and Audio Devices > Volume Tab to check that your sound output isn't set to mute.

On the sounds tab choose one of the sounds that has a loudspeaker next to it (the longest lasting sound is called "Start Windows") and click on the little black arrow between the sound title and the Browse button. You should hear the windows start sound. This means that your sound system is set up correctly. If this is the case, not being able to "fiddle" with your PC I don't really know what can be wrong.

Regards - Reinrev