DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Computer problem

Posted by DEAN-185206 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

For the past week the cursor on my computer sometimes zig – zags around the screen, whether in word or linked to the Internet, and whether holding it or not. It opens menus and pages etc. I can catch up with it and it behaves for a minute before re - commencing its wild travel.

I thought it might be a virus even though I have a very effective AVG ( Anti virus Gresholt ) and a Norton anti virus ( not up to date ) and checks throughout the whole of C drive comes up with ‘ no viruses
I would add that AVG puts any difficult viruses which it cannot remove for some reason into a
‘ Sealed Vault ‘

I’m using the very good Mozilla Firefox browser because Internet Explorer went down two months ago.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this.

Many thanks for any advice.

Dean

Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tammy-185364 - 14 years ago

Hello

Is the mouse a USB, PS2 or serial?

It sounds to me like the drivers are corrupt, try taking the drivers out and reinstalling them with perhaps newer drivers - are you running XP?  Have you made sure the mouse is connected properly?  How long has the mouse been doing this?  You say that Internet Explorer went down and you are now using another browser, when you say went down do you mean it crashed and would not work again? 

I would think that you  have currupt files rather than a virus and by the way..........................it is a waste of time having an antivirus if you do not update it regularly!!!!  If the driver problem does not fix it I would say it might be a good idea to re-format.

take care. xxx

Sorry no image available
Posted by rivierasunshine - 14 years ago

I think you have a trojan horse, but by now you cant log on to receive this message, the only thing to do is to reformat your hard drive and start again, and them be very careful which emails you open.   If you dont know the sender dont open it, and if it is from yourself definately dont be curious and open it, it is definately a virus.

Sorry no image available
Posted by irishman-180738 - 14 years ago

This sometimes also occurs with laptops which have touchpads for controlling the pointer.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MSM2000UK-181816 - 14 years ago

Sound exactly like a trojan horse (im sure u know what it is, if not, look it up cose my explaination is only understood by ppl who speak my version of english, namely ummm the thing connected to the thing is the ...). You have however said you scan regularly so perhaps try updating your scanners?

Failing that it could just be some dirt inside the mouse. Try cleaning it, and the ball. Or you could connect another mouse and see if the problem is still occuring, at least that way you can eliminate the problem being the mouse.

Max