DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Computer Problems - Can anyone help?

Posted by Star-193452 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by simonwynne - 14 years ago

Also suggest when possible to download Zonealarm for free....its a  good firewall,

last year when sobig got my pc it also tried to damage the HD...this firewall does work providing one does the updating required...

good luck

Simonice

Sorry no image available
Posted by Star-193452 - 14 years ago

Thanks Collie, much appreciated.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Collie21 - 14 years ago

Hi Star.

Any time you get stuck just ask, if you need someone to go visit and show you some stuff I will glady do so.

Zen............whats the superior stuff you on about????? Zen in name but in nature??????

Collie21

hey does that wall have a crack in it?

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 14 years ago

That's "NTBACKUP" not "NTNACKUP" folder - oops must proof read before posting :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 14 years ago

Back up is not necassarily installed by default in Windows XP (mine wasn't). Stick you XP disc in the drive and select "Perform Additional Tasks" - select "Browse this CD" and select the "VALUEADD" folder". Select the "MSFT" folder and then select the "NTNACKUP" folder. Install backup by clicking on "NTBACKUP.MSI".

HTH

Sorry no image available
Posted by courtiot-185037 - 14 years ago

Hi Again

Backup.......................go to the start button, program files, accessories, you will then see "system tools", backup is there.

sue

A good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help another up.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Josplas - 14 years ago

Hi Zen,

I tried to follow your advise ( trying to make a backup ) but did not find "Backup" in the system tools of XP.

Could it be elsewhere ??

Thanks

jos

Sorry no image available
Posted by Star-193452 - 14 years ago

Hi Zen and Sue,

Thanks again for your help.  I have followed all your 'tutorials' and I take your advice Zen about getting a basic course set up...I think it would be of enormous benefit.  I can see the difference in my computer already from what you guys have told me to do so far. Also, to answer your question Sue, my service provider is Tele2. 

Well, I'l sign off and sign up to some computer courses!

Have a good day,

Star.

Sorry no image available
Posted by courtiot-185037 - 14 years ago

Hello

Are you running Windows XP?  If you are   What internet provider are you with?

I was having a lot of virus's coming onto my computer by email, I am with Tiscali, by sheer coincidence (Mmmmmmmm) they then informed me of a new service called Super Mail for about 2 euro a month.  It stops SPAM and has Norton Anti Virus to catch any virus's before they get to your computer, (all updated automatically).  The Java script ...............click HERE and scroll down

or

http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/tutorials/index.php?tut=0&part=0&TOshow=allshow

Pumuckel is right about updating windows, it is very important!!!

Sue

Also, are you using explorer to browse?  Is it the latest version?

A good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help another up.

Sorry no image available
Posted by zen-193355 - 14 years ago

You can use the Windows Backup function to back up files on your hard disk (Click Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Backup). You can also back up files to floppy disks, a tape drive, or another computer if you are working on a network. If your original files are damaged or lost, because of a computer or hard disk failure, you can then restore them from the backup. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

If you have data files which are important to you, you should run backup on a daily basis. You should also create a so called “rescue disk set” for your system files. Your antivirus program may come with a utility to automate the creation of such a disk set. I use Norton. Again, should your hard disk fail you can re-install your system files safely using this disk set.

For disk clean-up, click Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Clean-up (make sure you have backed up important data and system files before you do that!).

In case of doubt, consult the Windows Help (Start > Help) or the Microsoft Website.

You also may find an Windows introductory course very useful to get you started with the basics, especially if you intend to use your computer on a regular basis or if you use it for important personal or business data.

Collie, remember we have all been computer novices at some stage. No need to feel “superior” now…

zen