DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Computer Tip of the Day.....

Posted by Aroncb - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by OK-186520 - 14 years ago

Another good way is to use a touchpad and forget the mouse all together.

You can even buy plug versions from basic to those equipped with programmable hot keys to launch your favourite apps.

Happy surfing :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnD-185075 - 14 years ago

Another good way to avoid mouse-related frustration is to learn some keyboard shortcuts! Personally I hardly touch the mouse when I'm using a computer, unless I'm playing games etc. I find the following Windows shortcut keys really useful, they should all work on Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, ME, XP:Using the Windows keyWindows+e = Open Windows ExplorerWindows+f = Open "Find Files"Windows+m = Minimise all windowsWindows+r = Open "Run..."Windows+l = Lock the screen (possibly XP/2000 only)In Windows ExplorerCtrl+c = Copy selected file(s)Ctrl+x = Cut selected file(s)Ctrl+v = Paste copied/cut file(s)Ctrl+z = Undo last actionCtrl+a = Select all filesF2 = Rename selected fileAlt+Enter = View properties of selected fileShift+Del = Delete file without sending it to the Recycle Bin (use with caution - can't be undone!)Context key (or Shift+F10) = View context menuF5 = RefreshCtrl+Shift+Esc = Open Task ManagerGeneralAlt+Tab = Cycle through open windowsAlt+F4 = Close currently open window/applicationAlt+Space x = Maximise current window (the 'x' could be different if you're not using an English version of Windows)Ctrl+F4 = Close active document (e.g. if you have multiple documents open in Word)When editing text (e.g. when you're using Word)Shift+Down = Highlight a whole line of textCtrl+Shift+Right /Ctrl+Shift+Left = Highlight whole word(s) to the left/right of the cursorShift+End = Highlight from the cursor to the end of the lineShift+Home = Highlight from the cursor to the beginning of the lineCtrl+Shift+End = Highlight from the cursor to the end of the documentCtrl+b = Toggle 'bold' for highlighted textCtrl+i = Toggle 'italic' for highlighted textCtrl+l = Align leftCtrl+r = Align rightCtrl+j = JustifyCtrl+e = CentreCtrl+s = Save documentThere's plenty more, but I think I'll leave it at that otherwise I'll be here all night. It takes time to learn them, but you can save yourself a lot of time in the long run. For example, say you've got two Explorer windows open, and you want to copy all the files from the first window to the second window. To do it using just the mouse, you'd probably have to do the following:(1) Move hand from keyboard to mouse(2) Click 'Edit'(3) Click 'Select All'(4) Click 'Edit'(5) Click 'Copy'(6) Click second window(7) Click 'Edit'(8) Click 'Paste'(9) Move hand from mouse to keyboardTo do it with the keyboard, you just need to do:(1) Press Ctrl+a(2) Press Ctrl+c(3) Press Alt+Tab to get to the second window(4) Press Ctrl+vYou probably only save yourself a few seconds each time, but over the course of a day that can add up to quite a lot.

Sorry no image available
Posted by danonimes-184717 - 14 years ago

good tip a, I removed the biscuit crumbs and bits of hair from my rollers and my mouse is now behaving itself.Other options are 'upside down' mice, or trackballs I think they were called, or pen tablets. Both take a bit of getting used to, but at least they don't suffer from hair balls.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

Optical mice don't work on glass- (or worse, mirror-) topped tables, and they can get very skittish in bright sunshine - something for which the Riviera has a bit of a reputation. I'll stick with a regularly-cleaned mechanical Microsoft mouse from the days when they only had as many buttons as I actually needed, thanks.