DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Connecting a cooker

Posted by tgaman-197086 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by tgaman-197086 - 13 years ago

Many thanks for your replies, ours is a new place so i hope the earth is connected to something!

Sorry no image available
Posted by stirrer2-182859 - 13 years ago

as above... however I asked an electrician (french) to look at mine and he told me it was a huge job, needed re wiring, taking some floor tiles up getting all the new connectors 600 euros worth of labour plus another 150 e for the cable.... then an electrician friend came round, we moved the cupboard where i wanted the oven to go, hey presto there was already a cable in place, he wired it in, 20euros   15 mins  done.   check in your fuse box, if you already have a 32 amp fuse, you may already have all the wires in place.

Sorry no image available
Posted by No.6 - 13 years ago

Yes, electric cookers in France need to be hardwired using an independant supply of 6mm 3-core cable (i.e. live, neutral & earth), protected with a 32A fuse. Special cooker cable connector sockets exist for cookers, as in the UK.

Not entirely sure what you mean by 'are french plugs earthed when fitted onto english appliances' - French plugs come in 2-pin (no earth pin, for appliances not requiring any, i.e. with 2-core supply cables) and 3-pin varieties, except that the earth pin in France actually forms part of the wall socket and not the plug.  An earthed plug, therefore, is larger and has, in addition to its 2 pins, an additional hole into which the wall-socket's fixed earth pin slots. Have a look at the sockets in your home: you should see 2 holes + one earth pin sticking out at the top.  Depending on how well the house was wired in the first place, this doesn't guarantee that the earth pin is actually connected to an earth line, however!  - if in any doubt, do seek out a qualified electrician (and don't use a plug for a cooker - it should be hardwired, as mentioned above).

Here's a link to a French DIY store's website which gives basic useful information on domestic electrical installations: http://www.mr-bricolage.fr/fichesTheme.asp?cat=Electricit%E9&type=magazine - if nothing else, it's good for the terminology! 

Hope this helps.