DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Converting new lap top from French to English

Posted by Cheryl Lincoln - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

I have just bought a new lap top from FNAC only to find that I am unable to set the language to English from French (I am physically able to do this through control panel but it doesn't switch over). I have called FNAC several times but the person taking the calls does not seem to know what he's talking about and is quite unhelpful.  On speaking with Hewlett Packard in UK, they tell me that "the motherboard may be tattooed" - does anyone know if there is a way round this or will I have to take it back and buy one in UK????? 

Can anyone give me some "un-technical as possible" advice please?

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bina-196302 - 13 years ago

i do need that friends email or address.I bought a sony vaio at fnac france...and am stuck with it back home in india..my email is costas@satyam.net.in

Thanks

Bina

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bina-196302 - 13 years ago

Do u know tht i too bought a sony vaio from fnac and took it to india and am stuck with french version...and hell bent to change it but need help badly.i tried reinstalling the engish version of microsoft...but non of the drivers really work..tried to download them from the internet...but turned out to be a huge unending task...it now does not seem to get anything installed or downloaded(even an antivirus)working.i dont know how to proceed...do u think u have managed to find help with your laptop?pls keep me informed.Thanks.my email id is costas@satyam.net.in

Bina

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

Magnus wrote:

quote:Have you tried it on a french version? Is it possible?

Ahhh - that's interesting.  I've always performed the MUI installation on English base toward French, German, Russian etc.  I've never tried in the other direction from French to English.  I'll give it a try and report back.

Cheryl,

Do you want to put your laptop up for the trial?  e-mail me if you're interested.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cheryl Lincoln - 14 years ago

Thanks to everyone for your advise and suggestions - the keyboard is no problem to me as I touch type in English but I actually want to start using a French keyboard for the accents now that I'm doing lots of correspondence in French - I know my way round most of my programmes really well and could probably cope with a French version  - its more to do with using "help" and if/when I have error codes etc.

Bon weekend!

Sorry no image available
Posted by tkw - 14 years ago

Keyboard layouts can be a serious pain sometimes...I once had a Toshiba Satellite Pro that somehow had no backslash key...I think it was ordered to have some european keyboard pattern but was somehow based on a US keyboard layout. Whatever it was one key short! imagine that, I had to remap another key I never used to be the backslash.

Moral of the story..buy what you want up front and don't mess around with multilingual stuff.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MagnusH - 14 years ago

Legend,

According to Microsoft, "MUI is an add-on to the English version ... and will not install on localized versions of Windows XP/2000 or on Windows XP Home Edition". http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/DrIntl/faqs/muifaq.mspx#MUIques5

Have you tried it on a french version? Is it possible?

Sorry no image available
Posted by lob-189383 - 14 years ago

whatever - but it can be done - if you've gotta send some field opp a laptop right this second and the guy can't touch type and doesn't really need to do accents (he's not french) then it's ok. would agree it's better to change the keyboard but you try doing that in a hurry. also as just a work tool - i think he even wrote on the keys that he needed such as @ & " etc.not pretty but horses for courses.

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

quote:lob said;quote:the keys actually came off very easily!

sure the top row is a problem but you soon learn what's what

I'm still laughing at this suggestion lob.  Unless you are a touch typist, you can NEVER "learn what's what" with this approach.  Try finding the % key for example.  Oh - and about 20 other punctuation keys that can never go in the right place for the mapping you are trying to emulate. This suggestion is WORSE than leaving it as standard AZERTY where at least the keycaps are correct, albeit somewhat unusual.   And if perchance you ARE a touch typist then you don't need to do anything other than change the software.

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

When I worked for a Swiss bank in New York, they used to send us the software from the home office. I recall having a language option to choose from when installing Windows NT, but it was not something you could change after the fact.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

Most laptops sold in Belgium are installed with French Dutch and English versions of Windows.  The first time you turn it on you have to select one, but I'm not sure if it is easy to change it again afterwards.  I think it is similar in Switzerland and maybe Germany.

It is probably not done in France because too many French people would select the wrong language by mistake and would have to take it back to get it sorted out.

For occasional use it is possible to plug a different desktop type keyboard into a laptop.

Tony