DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

copied cds

Posted by lynnettejane - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnD-185075 - 15 years ago

quote:But as for ripping, not got the foggiest.id=quote>When you copy an audio CD, you first 'rip' the audio data from the original CD, and then 'burn' the data file onto your CD-R[W]. Most CD-copying software transparently combines these two steps.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lynnettejane - 15 years ago

Hi Rich, well see, I'm not 'pooter literate as my brother tells me, so I suppose I did burn them with the aid of a cd writer, am I right so far? But as for ripping, not got the foggiest. So I guess the mouse will survive a while longer yet, thanks again,

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rosbif-185958 - 15 years ago

Right ok.. so erm.  In that case, I'm very interested to know how you copied them?  And if you haven't yet.. how do you propose to copy them?

If it doesn't involve some sort of ripping or burning i'll eat my mouse...

I wouldn't worry about it anyway, Lynette

All the best :)

Rich

Sorry no image available
Posted by lynnettejane1 - 15 years ago

RICH AND JACOB, BLIMEY, THANKS FOR THE ADVICE BUT I'M AFRAID ALL THIS RIPPING AND BURNING IS WELL BEYOND MY CAPABILITIES. ACTUALLY ALL I WANT TO DO IS PLAY MY CD COPIES ON AN ORDINARY CD PLAYER, BUT THANKS ANYWAYlynnette

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jacob - 15 years ago

Another reason to rip CDs - if you're lazy like me. Although all my CDs are neatly arranged on a shelf beside me, rather than the hassle of getting a CD out its case I find it a lot easier to just hit a button to play them (!). As I have a digital optical output from my computer to my receiver and as I've ripped at 320kbps there's negligable difference in quality to actually playing the CD. Plus you can be a lot more creative with your listening patterns. Having about 1500 albums (and I admit I don't have all of their corresponding CDs...) trying to pick a CD to listen to from that lot on a shelf would be a nightmare without the ability to select by genre, etc. Plus I like to try and keep my CDs immaculate, by not playing them...Most new computers can rip a CD in about 10 minutes and with an internet connection track names can be downloaded automatically, plus soundcards with a digital output are easy to get so it's remarkably easy to convert your cd collection into a digital library, although noisy computers can spoil the listening pleasure...// Jacob

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rosbif-185958 - 15 years ago

If you are concerned that you are going to get shopped, then here is one suggestion:

If you haven't already made the copies, then either:

a) if you are bringing your PC with you, rip them to at least 128bps 44khz mp3 and leave them on the hard disk for your trip over.  Then Burn them when you are here.

b) If you're not bringing a PC then head over to PC World and get another hard disk, Rip them to MP3 and stick them on that new hard disk.  Bring the Hard disk over here, and I'll burn them onto CDs if you like.

c) if you are really uncomfortable about any of this, then give me a shout at richard@frognrosbif.com and I can probably come up with a whole bunch of ideas for you.

Otherwise.. unless you're bringing a suitcase full, I really wouldn't worry too much about it.

All the best

Rich

Sorry no image available
Posted by lynnettejane - 15 years ago

The reason for coying the cds is v-e-r-y simple, I want my favourites at my apartment in France to enjoy there as I do at home. Thanks to everyone for their advice, regards

Sorry no image available
Posted by yjme-181229 - 15 years ago

Um, just asking, but why does anyone actually need a copy of something they already have on CD (as far as music is concerned) or are you talking about compilations of your own stuff? Or do you lend out your original? Or is because you like to keep one in pristine condition perhaps? Just curious.

Sorry no image available
Posted by OK-186520 - 15 years ago

Correct, just like dvd's, and computer software, if you own the original you are allowed to make a backup copy.

Sorry no image available
Posted by maxdiem - 15 years ago

The French law is the same: no problem if you own the original one and for sure no one will check this so no worries!