DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

copied cds

Posted by lynnettejane - Created: 16 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 11 to 13)

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 16 years ago

quote:In general, you are not allowed to make backup copies of audio CDs, even if you own the original. You would need to get permission from the copyright holder.

Oooooh - this is going to open a real can of worms....  My understanding of the Anglo-Saxon copyright laws is quite the opposite.  You have the right to time-shift, space-shift, and media-shift playback of music you OWN.  You purchase this right when you purchase the original media.  This viewpoint is given credence by the fact that the new (as yet non-finalised) digital media standards for copy protection will allow a single digital copy for personal use. If it was illegal, the new standard would have rendered copying impossible wthout additional licences.  What is illegal is to engage in trade of the same.

So, to relate this to the French Douanes and your fear of losing your Eva Cassidy collection (gorgeous singer by the way - shame we lost her so young) - You cannot count on the French douaniers on the booths to know very much at all about the law.  They will howver jump on you if you look like a counterfeit trader or media pirate and it is true that they are quite sensitive to that sort of trade here - being so close to the Italian border.  Because in international circles the "copy from personally owned media for personal use only" rule seems well understood when explained clearly, I'd suggest that to put your mind at rest as you pass the Douanes, you prepare your CD collection in a box, on the front of which is an "attestation sur l'honneur" stating that these are 1-off bona fide copies of personally owned media for personal use only and perhaps include a photo of the originals all lined up on your shelf at home.

Anyone that goes to such an extent and lays it in writing in front of a French Douanier on a booth will get waved through with a cheery "Bonne Journée Monsieur/Madame" - I can assure you.

Sorry no image available
Posted by rogerv - 16 years ago

Whilst John is correct, if we are talking about a dozen or so personal CDs, customs are unlikely to worry. They will be looking for industrial quantities. Maybe put them into a small CD booklet carry case or in a multi-CD car player. I don't want to encourage you to break the law, but if these are genuine back-up copies for your own personal use, then I think we are in the realm of a legal grey area.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnD-185075 - 16 years ago

In general, you are not allowed to make backup copies of audio CDs, even if you own the original. You would need to get permission from the copyright holder.